METAL DETECTING ON MEXICAN BEACHES

pirateman

Jul 25, 2008
Hi everyone!
I just want to share with everyone that in one week I will be leaving on a cruise out of LAX port to the Mexican Riveria (Cabo, Puerto Vallarta, Maltazan) with my family. I am bring my Whites MXT detector with me and I will share my experiences with everyone once I return.

Here is some traveling information on bringing a metal detector with you for future reference. Since I am flying into LAX from Chicago, I called United about carrying the metal detector onboard the plane, though they didn't see it being a problem, they suggested I call TSA (1-866-289-9673) to verify I can bring onboard as a carry-on. The TSA person told me I can carry only the electronic portion (brains) of the unit as a carry-on, but that I need to the check the poles and coil of the unit in my checked in baggage. I don't want to pack the entire MXT unit in my luggage just incase. I also called the cruise line and they told me they have no problem with me carrying the metal detector onboard.

I just wanted to share with everyone in the event someone has travel plans in the future.

pirateman

bass99

May 9, 2005
Central Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab etrac with sunray probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Pirateman,
Have a wonderful time. I usually fly Alaska Air and never had a problem with carring my metal detector on board, I have a carring bag for it, I just take out the batteries and pack those in my luggage, only once did the guy at the x-ray know what it was, most of them dont.
bass

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How did you make out? I did pretty well in Mexico back at the end of 2006. My last trip at the beginning of this year I did not get to detect much.

NJ

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread