Detector(s) used
X-Terra70, X-Terra 50, Ace250, Ace150, GTI 1500,GTA 1000 Ultra, Tejon, Vaquero
EXAMPLE:
YOUR NAME
ADDRESS
PHONE
E-Mail ADDY

Member of:

I would like to take this opportunity to introduce myself. My name is YOUNR NAME
I have lived in County now for about __ years and as a hobby I have been metal detecting for __ of those years.

I am writing you this letter in hopes that you will allow me to metal detect on your property.

I love digging up old relics and pieces of history from the past, and am an active member of a metal detecting club. I have metal detected many old properties, including Civil War sites, older homes, and parks with great success over the years. Many people believe there is nothing to be found on their property which, after some detecting are pleasantly surprised. People are simply amazed at what I find, whether its old coins, jewelry, relics, old toys, bottles, tokens or a family heirloom, there ARE items that can be found and I would love to help you to do so!

Recently I have been detecting the same property in Wake Forest on and off for over a year now. The owner, who originally believed “there was nothing on the property to find”, has been pleasantly surprised to see that I am continually finding items, even today. If interested, I would gladly show you some of the items I have found to date. I really enjoy the metal detecting hobby and the fun it provides in searching for items from days gone by.
I thank you for your time and consideration, and am looking forward to hearing from you soon. Please feel free to e-mail me or call me with any questions or concerns you have. I have enclosed a self-addressed stamped envelope in case you wish to reply by mail.
Sincerely,
(Your name)

Please note:
1 I am NOT in this hobby to make money, and I keep the relics and items I find for display purposes only.

2 There is NO CHARGE to the property owner, and all finds can be divided up equally if required.

3 I only dig a small hole (about 3” in diameter) to retrieve most finds, and then refill all holes neatly.

You, as the property owner, have nothing to lose and everything to gain.
Think about it.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
No offence, but if I were a property owner, I'd probably throw something like that away. I mean, think of it: What do YOU do with junkmail you receive from total strangers? The best way is in person. No substitute.

wazonme

Nov 19, 2007
reedsburg wisconsin
Detector(s) used
white dfx
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i agree in person face to face and then show him or tell him of your intentions i myself throw away alot of junk mail without opening it.

K

KirkTN

I do think approaching a land owner in person is best, If it is someone you know or have met calling for permission is okay. If it's someone you don't know and haven't had the chance to meet, calling would still be better than a letter I think.

My brother john37115 and I have a short little sheet with us pictured together at the top and the word Detectorist's along with our phone numbers and town we live in. A short synopsis about our hobby from how long we've been at it to the basic info about digging and filling our holes etc.. followed by a basic list of ethics we go by and a notice that frees them from any liability.

I strike up a friendly conversation at first and then ask for permission. Some folks are more open, others I've had to spend 30 minutes to an hour with before securing permission.  Before I leave I'll hand them the sheet so they will have my picture so they remember what I look like along with my cell number etc.

I've never been turned down So far, Note: If a yard is manicured I don't ask.

anyhow. Just be nice to people, shake their hand firmly, and look 'em in the eye when you talk. Treat 'em the way you'd like to be treated.  :icon_sunny:

Ken from Atlanta

Feb 4, 2008
Olympia Washington
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
most of the time I manage to get permission to search private property it's from someone I've met and talked to in a park or schoolyard. I just answer some of their questions, ask them about the neighborhood (slipping in a quick "I'd sure like to search some of the houses around here, I'll bet there's a lot to find.....etc....." Usually showing some of my finds and talking about things I've found elsewhere will get people interested, and sometimes they will volunteer their property. I've found out it works best to let them think it was their idea and just kind of help them come up with it.

SwampHunter

Mar 6, 2007
Samuel Watson's Old Place
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Tesoro Silver uMax, Fisher 1265X, Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro Pointer
Not to be a kill joy, but that wouldn't go over very well in my area. In fact you would more than likely do more harm than good. People around here are more personal and would like to be asked permission to hunt in person. Why would a person not go by and ask for permission in person? First question in my mind is would you really want someone that is that lazy to be in charge of closing gates and such?
My suggestion to anyone would be to go and ask for permission in person. I would not ask them to fill out anything. A handshake in my area goes along way in this area and anything else would more than likely be an insult as well as putting them in a compromising position. Very few land owners in this area will sign the simplest contract..... even if you have known the person for several years.
I do alot of waterfowl hunting. One time I wrote up a contract for landowners to sign that said I had permission to hunt on their land. It was very simple and I started asking several landowners to sign it. Each one of them would glance at the paper and told me that they would not sign it. I finally asked one why nobody would sign the form. First he said nobody wants to take the time to read it. Nobody wants to be legally bound to a contract as such. He explained that I already had permission to hunt these places, why screw it up with some sort of legal paperwork? If a landowner wants you to sign a wavier that protects them, they will provide it.

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
Whites new coinmaster-Teso Silver Max-Minelab GT
I'll clean your yard up from hidden junk and any hazarded material in ground lead etc....!
$ 50....but for you $25. :occasion14:

Pulltab Parson

Jan 20, 2007
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero, White's Prizm III, White's Bulls-eye Pinpointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would have to agree, getting permission face to face is the best way! Only in situations where the person actually lives in a different place and just comes to town occationally (i.e. cabin or hunting camp) I then might send a letter with te permission slip and a SASE so that he could return it.

Here is the link to our web site and the form that we use

http://www.geocities.com/kinzua_detectorists/permissiontodetectform.pdf

good luck and HH

PTP

UncleVinnys

Bronze Member
Dec 27, 2007
Hancock Street, Folsom, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
GREAT form, and you provided an excellent service by posting it here!!! :thumbsup:
Of course we would edit it slightly for our own purposes.

I would add for example a clause about if I find any personal items, that
that the owner could keep it, such as a personal wedding ring or
family heirloom.

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
O.k, I'll give it a shot.Now... may I use your form :evil5:

Pulltab Parson

Jan 20, 2007
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero, White's Prizm III, White's Bulls-eye Pinpointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Absolutely, edit it to your specifications. All that I ask is that you don't use the club name or logo but other than that by all means!!

Good Luck and HH

PTP

Quester

Mar 1, 2008
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
XLT, Silvermax, Compadre
Rob66 said:
I'll clean your yard up from hidden juke and any hazzarded material in ground lead ect....!

lol :icon_pirat: :D

I'm from the HAZMAT team, I'll be done with your property in 3 hours, any questions? rofl :tongue3:

chrisplay2004

Feb 28, 2008
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2 with 4" & 8" Coil, and F-Point Pinpointer, Whites Eagle II, Bounty Hunter Fortune Hunter, Modified VLF WaterDetector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never even thought about it...Usually only get verbal permission.
I'll give it a shot, got nothin to lose, might even gain a little access... 8)

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
Quester said:
Rob66 said:
I'll clean your yard up from hidden junk and any hazarded material in ground lead etc....!

lol :icon_pirat: :D

I'm from the HAZMAT team, I'll be done with your property in 3 hours, any questions? rofl :tongue3:

Or...a hard hat, orange vest and a shirt that clearly says; "BOMB SQUARD!"

I need everyone to clear out now!!!! workers too. :evil5: :evil6: Just kidding!

la9

Mar 25, 2007
Just get an orange construction hat and one of those flourescent vests and if someone comes out just say you are with the phone/gas/electric company and hunt where you want. Now worries.

borninok

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2007
Kerrville, TX
Detector(s) used
White's DFX: Minelab Excalibur 1000
KirkTN....extremely good point....shake their hand firmly and look them in the eye.

As a lot of politicians have found out...your body language can either make or break you. In shaking the hand...do it firmly, but don't overdue it.....many folk have arthritic hands. However, I took a course in body language (for law enforcement interviews), and the professor suggested shaking the other person's hand with both of your hands. In so doing, you are signifying to that person that you are genuine, that you are concerned....and that you are really interested in talking with them. That is why you will see some cultures shaking with both hands.......or kissing one cheek and then the other. Now...don't go out there and start kissing them on the cheeks................LOL.............especially if it's another guy and his name is Bubba, and he's 6 ft, 360 pounds, bald head, with a T shirt that says, "I hate gays". LOL

Just a thought...not a sermon. :tongue3: :tongue3: :tongue3: :tongue3: :tongue3:
--Mel

borninok

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread