Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most public places do not require a permit, though there are places that do - city's, lakes and parks usually have web-sites that will let you know. If metal detecting in NOT mentioned, you are good to go.

Auriemma

Jul 24, 2014
SE PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab: Sov XS; Sov XS2 Pro ; XS2a Pro ; E-TRAC; Profind 25, Garrett PP AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most state parks in PA require a permit from the Ranger's office (and only allow probes, no turning over of soil).

Check you local rules to be sure.

OP
OP
S

silentsydney

Greenie
Dec 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't been able to find anything as of yet about the towpath in auglaize county. I believe it's in a state park type situation? I've just been skimming over different Web site's. Haven't seen anything saying I can't metal detect there, but my luck I would get in trouble. I don't have a metal detector as of yet and the ground is pretty cold/frozen, I guess I'll just wait till spring and hope metal detectors are on sale then if I'm still interested. Sorry to have bothered you. Happy hunting

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I haven't been able to find anything as of yet about the towpath in auglaize county. I believe it's in a state park type situation? I've just been skimming over different Web site's. Haven't seen anything saying I can't metal detect there, but my luck I would get in trouble. I don't have a metal detector as of yet and the ground is pretty cold/frozen, I guess I'll just wait till spring and hope metal detectors are on sale then if I'm still interested. Sorry to have bothered you. Happy hunting

silent-sidney: Your post is fairly typical of when someone (with a skittish/cautious nature) reads of ANYWHERE else in the world, of a "permit". Or reads of a hassle, or scram, or ticket, or law, or booting, etc.... Instantly the person reading does exactly what you have done: They start to worry about their own locale. So they post posts like this, which ...... guess what ?: Fosters MORE of the same self-fulfilling vicious circles worries of others (who read your post, and then rush to wonder, blah blah). See how it just feeds off of itself?

The danger then becomes that ........ sure enough ........ various folks go to their city, or county, or state bureaucracies (ranger kiosks, city halls, etc...) and ask "Can I metal detect?". Seems innocent enough, right? I mean, it doesn't hurt to ask, right? And who better to ask, than the powers-that-be themselves? But then it just spirals more down-hill: Even though there may not be anything specific (no rules specifically saying "no detecting", and no "permits"), yet ..... sometimes that desk-jockey-pencil pusher (who probably envisions geeks with shovels), gives the easy answer: "no". Or your "pressing question" gets bandied back and forth between multiple desks, and sure as heck some archie will chime in morph something about cultural heritage to it. And then guess what? Pretty soon, by virtue of your asking, it's as if NOW it's a "no", whereas ........... truth-be-told, no one ever cared before that !!

Yes I realize you asked your question here, and not grovelling at the desks of bored bureaucrats. But the simple appearance of the word "permit", does exactly as it did to you: Puts it out there as a fear, that starts that snow-ball effect.

Just avoid obvious historic sensitive monuments, IMHO, and you'll be fine. I never ask or worry about laws, rules, etc.... , unless posted on a sign. If someone "has an issue", they're welcome to come alert me.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My thoughts exactly....

Davers

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The only places that I have seen that required a permit were state parks.

Easiest way to find out is to go to the webpage of the park that you want to hunt and read the rules. Some forbid detecting, some require a permit, but most don't care what you do.

OP
OP
S

silentsydney

Greenie
Dec 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually I was thinking more monetarily. Being that I'm living paycheck to paycheck, I have to weigh all possibilities. Do I want to go spend all my Xmas money and then some on a metal detector, and then possibly only use it once or twice. Knowing the trail I would like to detect along is considered a historical path and I believe there is a state park that is there mainly to encompass all or at least part of the trail. I have to wonder if it would be better to shell out so much for a permit or take the chance of paying a higher fine or what not if trouble should arise. Also in state parks here have the rules or arpa and nhpa. Basically saying don't take or dig for anything of archeological or historical significance. Also nothing of value Can be removed from state parks. But rather than air that I'm poor and have to analyze how I spend my money, I though it was better to say I'll wait till spring and see if I'm still interested.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Good God man, grow a pair. If there's no sign posted, go for it. Worst thing that can happen is they tell you to leave.

Don't ask don't tell.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread