Metal Detecting research uncovers $15K cache!

JT2

Aug 9, 2006
Concord MA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well..... not really a cache, but I found abandoned property under my kids names that had been turned over to the state back in 2002!

I was doing a google search using the keywords "abandoned cellar hole massachusetts" looking for any clues to old cellar holes that I might detect when I ran across the State Abandoned Property web site. For kicks I entered my name and town but got no hits, so then I tried the name of the town I used to live in, and Hmmmm, what's this? Two entries under the names of my children! Wow, wonder what those are?

So I entered the claim request online and I've just got back the claim info from the state for matured CD's worth over $15K in my kids name! Wow, cool! Now all I have to do is try and dig up info on those old accounts that were with a bank that no longer exists (acquired by a different bank). These must have been accounts set up by my wife into long term CD's that were subsequently lost when we moved. Then once I get the cash from my new found 'cache' I'll have to see if I can coerce the wife into letting me apply some of these funds into my new hobby.

So, research (AKA goofing off at work) pays!

Thanks for reading my story, and happy hunting.
Regards,
JT

Upvote 0

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
That is great news. With that nest egg, you can buy a whole bunch of detectors :D ;D. Wish I had a find like that.

OP
OP
J

JT2

Aug 9, 2006
Concord MA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Ron!

Unfortunately, I expect that trying to get even a penny of that money towards anything other than being deposited back into the kids accounts would be a major battle.

Just the way things are. :-\

So yeah, its an exciting find but also disappointing too, considering the possibilities.

Take care,
JT

gold fish

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2006
N.W.A.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro - Cortez Minelab SE
Just remwmber, save some for the kids, it'll be a lot more worth it in the long run. My parents spent my college money on home improvements and cars(it was left to me by my grandparents). How old are they?? Because a good ulterior motive would be to get THEM detectors.......huntin' bubbies, oh yeah. Then, just force them to go with you til they start to enjoy it, you could even start a "family" coin collection.

Mississippi Yankee

Jul 22, 2005
Petal MS
Those sites are usually on the up-&-up.

Last year, I found a listing under my mom's name from the 1940's. It took about 9 months, but she received her check for $642.00 just in time to buy her 1st PC. Gonna save me a BUNDLE in long-distance calls to N.Y. now that she can receive e-mail. ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread