Metal Detecting Sandal Review - thumbs down

GuerillaBill

Feb 12, 2008
Venice, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Excalibur II, Whites BeachHunter 300
A few weeks back, several messages were posted about the metal detecting sandal - footwear with a metal detector built in, designed to help you find treasures on the beach.

Brian Lam at Gizmodo ordered a pair, and tested them out.

His verdict: Thumbs down.

Read the review at http://gizmodo.com/5332083/metal-detecting-sandal-lightning-review-no

Pretty much what most of here thought . . .

Bill

Upvote 0

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They've got another one for him to try out now... ;D

Bran <><

http://www.hammacher.com/Product/76961

cover.jpg

The Metal Detecting Dune Buggy.

This is the remote control dune buggy that can detect buried metallic objects when driven over suitable terrain, including backyards, dirt lots, low grass, or flat sand. The buggy can detect buried iron-based metals down to 4" and when it does, it flashes a red LED and begins beeping to alert you of potential treasure. The remote controls forward, backward, left, and right movement from up to 25' away. Metal detecting sensitivity can be modified to suit the terrain with a simple dial on the buggy. Includes three faux gold doubloons (metal) to bury and two plastic digging tools. Four AA batteries (not included) for the remote provide up to four hours of operation; buggy requires one 9-volt battery (not included). Ages 8 and up. 11 1/2" L x 9 1/2" W x 6 1/2" H. (2 lbs.)
Item 76961
$49.95

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If these things really worked I might get one for this beach I know where metal detectiong isn't allowed. To bad nobody has any ideas on how to dig it up after you find it. :icon_scratch:

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lol where do you guys find the crap

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
godisnum1 said:
They've got another one for him to try out now... ;D

Bran <><

http://www.hammacher.com/Product/76961

The Metal Detecting Dune Buggy.

This is the remote control dune buggy that can detect buried metallic objects when driven over suitable terrain, including backyards, dirt lots, low grass, or flat sand. The buggy can detect buried iron-based metals down to 4" and when it does, it flashes a red LED and begins beeping to alert you of potential treasure. The remote controls forward, backward, left, and right movement from up to 25' away. Metal detecting sensitivity can be modified to suit the terrain with a simple dial on the buggy. Includes three faux gold doubloons (metal) to bury and two plastic digging tools. Four AA batteries (not included) for the remote provide up to four hours of operation; buggy requires one 9-volt battery (not included). Ages 8 and up. 11 1/2" L x 9 1/2" W x 6 1/2" H. (2 lbs.)
Item 76961
$49.95

I think it would be a better idea to put a small camera on it and run it up and down the beach taking pictures of "treasures". :wink: ;D

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Sandman said:
If these things really worked I might get one for this beach I know where metal detectiong isn't allowed. To bad nobody has any ideas on how to dig it up after you find it. :icon_scratch:

I've been toying with this idea myself. I have a few areas that are off limits to MD'ing, but one can build sand castles all day long. Except my idea is to construct a "sled" with a hacked PI unit towed behind a RC vehicle. I have an interest in robotics along with my profession of being a computer programmer.

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure_Hunter said:
I think it would be a better idea to put a small camera on it and run it up and down the beach taking pictures of "treasures". :wink: ;D

Well if THAT'S the case, you might should upgrade to some fast dune buggy R/C car and put a fast action camera on it... just sayin' :D

Diver_Down said:
I've been toying with this idea myself. I have a few areas that are off limits to MD'ing, but one can build sand castles all day long. Except my idea is to construct a "sled" with a hacked PI unit towed behind a RC vehicle. I have an interest in robotics along with my profession of being a computer programmer.

You definitely sound like the kind of person that can put that knowledge to good use in creating new technology to benefit this hobby! There's unlimited application needs for units like that when it comes to specific areas of interest. You should definitely pursue it, or at least brain storm and get ideas out onto paper! :thumbsup:

Bran <><

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Diver_Down said:

You definitely sound like the kind of person that can put that knowledge to good use in creating new technology to benefit this hobby! There's unlimited application needs for units like that when it comes to specific areas of interest. You should definitely pursue it, or at least brain storm and get ideas out onto paper! :thumbsup:

Bran <><
[/quote]

Unfortunately, it has been an idea of mine for the past year, but I just don't have the time at the moment. Also, I doubt if the idea ever came to fruition that it would be for public consumption. I wouldn't want the item to become commonplace where the patrolling authorities would know what it is I'm doing. Instead, I'll probably end up being the crazy old guy playing with a RC buggy and building sand castles. Hopefully, lots of sandcastles... :icon_pirat:

Dirt Fishin Dale

Aug 23, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Excal 1000, Binford 5000 super hunter
Sandman said:

Remote controll bulldozer? Yes that's it, hide in the dunes.

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
sad part is for every piece of junk put up for sale, there is somebody out there willing to buy it

deepsix47

Jul 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Fisher Impulse, Fisher CZ-21, Minelab X-Terra 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman said:

Sandman:

If you know it's there and where, there is always a way to dig it. I know several places where a MD is banned but I haven't seen a place yet that banned digging tools. You'd be amazed what the building of a large sand castle has concealed and that's only one thought....lol (one in NC produced over 300 primo Civil War relics and was done in broad daylight over a 4 day period).

It's really amazing what some innovative minds have come up with.

Deepsix

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread