Aug 17, 2013
Coastal Orange County, CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX, AT Pro, ProPointer, and a weirdly good sense of direction
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
-
With a Government Shutdown looming, and if Federal Park employees go on furlough, does that mean all National Parks and Federal Land is open season for Metal Detecting?

What I've always heard is; a law is only a law if it is enforced :) Our border with Mexico is proof of that!!

Update: October 2, 2013, 1:15PM - PST

As of now, the thread is up to 63 comments / replies and it looks like some of the long term posters to TNet are having fun with this post. They range from people that would never break the law, no matter what. To people that believe the relics under the ground on Federal land will disintegrate over time and be lost forever.

Personally, I'm getting a little dizzy, but it here's the synopsis in no particular order:

Leave the relics in the ground! Follows the laws! Dig the relics up, they will turn to dust! Are you serious or joking! Artifacts does zero good buried in the ground! The relics and lead will pollute the ground water! Future high tech equipment will know what's down there and why! The ground is sacred in National Parks! We can tunnel under and get the stuff that way! It's all the Archies fault! Do you even metal detect? Anthropologists do not support digging every site! Maybe our parks are actually government storage areas for aliens!TreasureNet does not advocate the breaking of any laws, local, state or federal! If your detector goes over a target and no one is there to hear it...does it make a sound? The way it's going, there will be no place to Metal Detect! Dig um up! Leave um there! I'm right, your wrong! No! I'm right and your wrong!
Gotta Love It!!

It's no wonder Congress's Approval Rating is only 10% and they can't agree on anything.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I have been watching this and reading this thread. I like what the Greatest generation did the other day when going to their memorial at the park.

'Greatest generation' veterans sweep past barricades at memorial in their honor | Fox News

My feeling are that it is your park and if you want to go.go. How can they close your park? Ridiculous Gov does what it can to panic the people. Hit the parks enjoy them but leave them untouched. We have found that the biggest looters here are the employees. They feel entitled because they are care takers. Be a good steward.

Dick Stout

Mar 23, 2006
Southwest
Detector(s) used
MXT, V3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This from an overseas archaeologist blog...please be careful what you say.

The US government spending shutdown is on, stuff happens as they say. I'd like to draw attention to the plight of US museums. US collectors and dealers think "they are always going to be there" and going to continue to function at the same standard, and are thus suuposedly the best place for the rifled antiquities of the rest of the world. But today's events remind us that even in the USA, their continued functioning depends to a large extent on nothing more than historical accident. As we see, you just need enough tea-party extremists in the government to have the whole lot crashing down. Remember the old argument about guarding sites to keep the looters out? How many BLM guards are out in their jeeps today patrolling ancient sites in the USA and how many 'twitchers' are out there with their shovels assuming that BLM staff are sitting at home today?

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dawn of the Dead (2004) had Twitchers

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just had to add my opinion in here......How can it be wrong for me to want to metal detect the land that the govt. stole from my grandparents, great grandparents, etc.. That is what happened here in my state in the 1930s. All the famalies living on the land the govt. wanted were FORCED to sale for a price decided fair by the govt....But i know that the govt. is never wrong.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing wrong with wanting to, but if you do and get caught is it worth the Tens of thousands in fines and jail time?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cloesed nat parks.jpg

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
The truth is that soldiers were picking relics off the battle fields as the battles were ending. This is not some new behavior invented by detector heads hundreds of technically advanced years in the future. The people back then had as much knowledge of artifacts and rare finds as we do now. These soldiers collected pieces they thought were important and at the time did not feel their actions took in anyway, any sort of ill meaning or lack of importance from the battle they had just fought today. Clean up the useless debris!!!!!!

wild-eyed willy, you are so right: Human nature's desire to collect, find, etc.... has never changed. So even before metal detectors, people decades and centuries past collected, sought, dug, etc....

Example: 1) I read somewhere that in the 1940s and '50s, for instance (before the advent of detectors that could find individual coins), that people had taken up the hobby of sifting sand from under the Coney Island boardwalk. 2) and as anyone knows, arrowhead and indian artifact hunting goes way back to the turn of the century or earlier. Up along the Columbia river, families would pack a picnic lunch, row out to an island, and spend the day sifting for relics.

Thus no, detecting in that sense, is nothing new. There's not some new and horrible egregious activity that is now defined as "looters". And if some archie wishes to define anyone who dares collect as a "looter", well FINE THEN, I'm a looter. And durned proud of it for that matter :headbang:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was not un common in the Sixties and earlier for a family to pack a lunch and go dig artifacts. Where the term pot hole came from. When TVA took over in the South East and flooded millions of acres we had thousands of habitation sites,towns and cemeteries flooded. The Union troops set their guns on Indian mounds and shelled my city while the troops dug out tunnels looking for artifacts.
Now that TVA has militarized the river patrol they sweep down on you if you are on shore as if you are a terrorist. I hunt some Islands by permission and carry sifters and metal detectors in my boat. I make sure that I can contact the owner in case they stop me.

This is at winter pool down the road from me. I was able to get all the old survey maps before the impoundment. Cool stuff.

Long_cemetery.jpg

OP
OP
SoCalBeachScanner

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
Coastal Orange County, CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX, AT Pro, ProPointer, and a weirdly good sense of direction
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

MT_Joe

Feb 22, 2013
Ferndale, Montana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
Other
Deteriorating iron hidden under ground ( out of sight) can certainly bring history alive for no one. We have all heard the problems of lead poisoning the environment, it can easily seep into the ground water, poison fish, wildlife, cattle and humans. There is no good reason to leave this remain in the ground. The dead solders will still be just as dead if the artifacts are removed. It won't change their fate whatsoever nor diminish the national respect our country has for the fallen soldiers. Consider this, there are literary volumes upon volumes written about the wars in this country, some autobiography's. These battles have been studied to delirium by experts and novice alike, the chance of any new material to be learned by some future archeological dig ( key word, DIG) is slim to none. Simply from an environmental stand point these sights should be cleaned of debris. Perhaps the sights could be divided into equal spaces, split between the Archeologists and the hobbyists. Simply put, IT AINT HISTORY IF NO ONE CAN SEE IT!!! also how much money could our poor government save if they didn't need to hire people to guard rusty bits of metal laying in the ground that no one can see anyway. I don't ask much, just a smidgen of common sense.
Exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATG and thinking about another nugget hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My thoughts exactly about digging it up. Buried artifacts don't do anybody any good. I've definitely heard of people picking up trash (ie:artifacts) and get harassed by archies. Threatening them with fines for picking up a piece of glass that's doing nothing but sit in the sun. It probably isn't even from the timer hat made the property an historic site. But nonetheless they call it an artifact. It's like me going out to detect an area and finding bullet shells and have to leave this trash on the ground because the 7th Calvary may have dropped them. Yet at these sites, nobody is collecting/recording this data.
Why can't we as detectors work as archies. Some of us collect and record these items just for personal record but maybe they could use this info for their benefit as well. If it's important at all, then call up the detectorists to scan the area.

Treasure finder

Apr 4, 2006
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium, Compass Gold Scanner, Maxi Pulse, Gardner with a 3 foot loop, PDF1000, & Dowsing rods,
I hike in anyway, Bolsa Chica State Beach does not open until 6:00AM, I'm scanning by 5:30AM. And it's a State Beach, which is not Federal :)

I think the authorities at Bolsa Chica put down lots of iron and other junk to keep us out whether they are there or not.
Rich

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My thoughts exactly about digging it up. Buried artifacts don't do anybody any good. I've definitely heard of people picking up trash (ie:artifacts) and get harassed by archies. Threatening them with fines for picking up a piece of glass that's doing nothing but sit in the sun. It probably isn't even from the timer hat made the property an historic site. But nonetheless they call it an artifact. It's like me going out to detect an area and finding bullet shells and have to leave this trash on the ground because the 7th Calvary may have dropped them. Yet at these sites, nobody is collecting/recording this data.
Why can't we as detectors work as archies. Some of us collect and record these items just for personal record but maybe they could use this info for their benefit as well. If it's important at all, then call up the detectorists to scan the area.

my guess the reason they are picky about everything including trash, is they can't see what you picked
up without approaching you,
which means Work for them. so they get P.o.'d they had to get off their fat overpaid greedy arses.
so they fine you just out of spite.
add to that most people never fought the fines, setting a precedent that is now hard to
change :(

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread