Metal Detecting Trip to the Mountains in the Jungle prospecting for gold bearing Quartz outcrop and a Lost Mine

EKG

Mar 19, 2017
From Germany but in South America at the moment
Detector(s) used
Minelab Fisher Jeohunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I'm looking for a real adventure, there's nothing quite like a metal-detecting trip to the mountains in the jungle. I recently had the chance to go on a metal detecting trip to a remote region of the Llanganatis Mountains, located in the vast jungles of South America. The goal of the trip was to search for gold-bearing quartz outcrops and a lost mine. The journey to the mountains began with an early morning flight to a small airport that served the nearby town of Shell Mera. From the airport, I had to travel by jeep with a prospecting partner to get to the actual mountain range. The terrain was rugged, and the roads were narrow and winding, but I made it to the base of the mountain range without any major issues. Once I reached the foot of the mountain, I was able to begin my metal-detecting journey. I was on the lookout for gold-bearing quartz outcrops, as these usually indicate a rich gold deposit beneath the surface. After several hours of surveying the area, I eventually came across a promising outcrop that appeared to have some gold traces in it. Now, I knew I was closer to finding the lost mine those legends had spoken of, and so I continued my search. After another few hours, I eventually stumbled upon a hidden mine shaft in the side of the mountain. It was a thrilling moment, and I knew I could be onto something big, so I quickly got to work collecting samples. After carefully packing them into my bags, I made my way back down the mountain. Overall, my metal-detecting trip to the mountains in the jungle was a success. I also discovered a lost mine.
The samples, after lavatory analyses, came up with a little concentration of gold. The adventure was fun, but the test results from the lab were more or less disappointing. There is more gold in the lower area of the region without a logistical nightmare and better opportunities to legally claim it than in the mountains close to the national park. But If you never go, you will never know.The next big gold prospecting trip and adventure is planned this year at the end of July. I want to go to Africa ,prospecting for gold for three months. It has been on my bucket list for over 20 years.

Attachments

• 1 (2).jpg
    1 (2).jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 1 (3).JPG
    1 (3).JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 20
  • 1 (4).JPG
    1 (4).JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 20
  • 1 (5).JPG
    1 (5).JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 19
  • 1 (1).JPG
    1 (1).JPG
    132.2 KB · Views: 21

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for sharing your experience.
Best of luck on checking off another bucket lister with your next adventure.

Reactions: EKG

Kona Koma

Bronze Member
Nov 13, 2017
On the Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Quattro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I'm looking for a real adventure, there's nothing quite like a metal-detecting trip to the mountains in the jungle. I recently had the chance to go on a metal detecting trip to a remote region of the Llanganatis Mountains, located in the vast jungles of South America. The goal of the trip was to search for gold-bearing quartz outcrops and a lost mine. The journey to the mountains began with an early morning flight to a small airport that served the nearby town of Shell Mera. From the airport, I had to travel by jeep with a prospecting partner to get to the actual mountain range. The terrain was rugged, and the roads were narrow and winding, but I made it to the base of the mountain range without any major issues. Once I reached the foot of the mountain, I was able to begin my metal-detecting journey. I was on the lookout for gold-bearing quartz outcrops, as these usually indicate a rich gold deposit beneath the surface. After several hours of surveying the area, I eventually came across a promising outcrop that appeared to have some gold traces in it. Now, I knew I was closer to finding the lost mine those legends had spoken of, and so I continued my search. After another few hours, I eventually stumbled upon a hidden mine shaft in the side of the mountain. It was a thrilling moment, and I knew I could be onto something big, so I quickly got to work collecting samples. After carefully packing them into my bags, I made my way back down the mountain. Overall, my metal-detecting trip to the mountains in the jungle was a success. I also discovered a lost mine.
The samples, after lavatory analyses, came up with a little concentration of gold. The adventure was fun, but the test results from the lab were more or less disappointing. There is more gold in the lower area of the region without a logistical nightmare and better opportunities to legally claim it than in the mountains close to the national park. But If you never go, you will never know.The next big gold prospecting trip and adventure is planned this year at the end of July. I want to go to Africa ,prospecting for gold for three months. It has been on my bucket list for over 20 years.
Nice pictures.

Reactions: EKG

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice story :) I think your living a lot of peoples dream :) Please stay safe and keep us posted !!1 I wish you GOOD LUCK and safe TRAVELS !!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread