frogginfish

Dec 18, 2012
Southwest Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Fisher F2 w/11" DD coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, I was thinking of using the below magnet to try and find me some under water finds. Tractor Supply has them for $15.99. They are 5 inches in length and weigh almost 2 pounds with a 150 pound pull. My questions are:
1. Have any of you tried using a magnet in this way before and what have you found?
2. What is the best way to remove the fings from the magnet without damaging the items?
3. What are any helpful tips when using this method?

magnet.jpg

Upvote 0

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
The Black Crow has some interesting vids from Rotterdam that shows his technique with a magnet. A team effort with multiple magnets allows recovery of larger objects.
He runs a 300 (kilo?) magnet.

Aquachigger posts here on occasion. Here's a vid of his.
Another of his shows fishing from the shore.

There are large objects that are willing to claim a purchase on a high strength magnet. A rope of great strength may allow a hard jerk to loosen it's grasp , but I'd rather not get so hung up.

The one I will use is in the boat.. around eighty pounds strength.
Avoid as noted in Auqachiggers vid.. wedging in rocks or rip rap unless angles can be changed to free it.

Messer

Greenie
Jan 17, 2016
Detector(s) used
Garret AT PRO, Fisher F75, Fisher Cold Bg II, Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The Black Crow has some interesting vids from Rotterdam that shows his technique with a magnet. A team effort with multiple magnets allows recovery of larger objects.
He runs a 300 (kilo?) magnet.
he runs a cheapest version of magnet on ebay with item number 251936687335 "120 Kg pull power, 2 sided TREASURE SALVAGE MAGNET".
s-l1600.jpg
there's very weak magnet on this video. and there's about not more than 80kg real. cheap Chinesse copy.

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is shocking how much bridge and railroad iron there is in America's creeks, rivers, and lakes. A 1200kg magnet dropped down on an old I beam that's half burried in rocks and mud, and you might as well cut your rope. I won't tell you what to buy, to each his own. I just thought it was worth considering before you lose an expensive magnet.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now I want a magnet and a dragnet

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread