Metal Detector advise please

kuzin_it

Tenderfoot
Feb 18, 2008
I am new to the forum and hobby, so new in fact I don't have a detector yet.... That brings me to the question: What is a good detector to buy to look for gold in western N.C.? Anyone had experience in the Vein Mt area with the mineralization in the ground... This will be my first detector so I'm not looking to pay 4000 for a top of the line minelab, more $800 down is more my price range...

I currently have a 3 inch Proline high banker but am looking for a metal detector for the cooler months.

Any help will be appreciated...

brnn53

Mar 31, 2006
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug, Tejon, T2 LTD, F75, & Nautilus DMC II B
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
White's MXT should fit your needs.
Mike

JOE(USA)

Dec 3, 2006
New Milford,CT.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes/Tiger Shark,Whites,B.H./ Teknetics,3DElectronics/ Two Box, Minelab XS,Excal.
kuzin_it,

Take your time deciding what detector is right for YOU. Ask a lot of questions here on Tnet and offer in your questions exactly what your requirements are. Detectorists that have one front line detector will always say that THEIRS is the best. That does not mean it's right for your use. Joe

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
Joe has a very good point there. Take your time and make sure it is right for you before you actually go buy one. You might look for a treasure hunting or metal detecting club in your area and go to some meetings and get their input too. You might even be able to go with someone else and try out their detector and see how comfortable you are with different ones. Just my humble opinion of course....I do know what it is like when you get the itch to get one and want it NOW as well! lol If you can actually wait....try some different ones and definitely get some different opinions the get the one that you will enjoy for a long time! :D

OP
OP
K

kuzin_it

Tenderfoot
Feb 18, 2008
Thanks for your replies... Brnn53, I noticed you do not have the mtx listed as a detector you use under your name, have you used an MTX in the area I was referring to? Does it ground balance well and still pick up small gold with all the hot rocks and mineralization? Thanks again to everyone who replied, this seems to a great forum, I came across this site while tring to decipher the bs marketing ploys from the real world experiences of people at sites like this one.. I plan on doing more research before jumping in so I'll be arround here reading alot... Thanks

Terry

nc-joe

Dec 1, 2006
Concord, NC
Detector(s) used
White's DFX and Minelab Explorer SE
If you are only going to use it for gold, I suggest getting a machine that has a higher frequency. The MXT is okay at 15kHz, but most "gold detectors" run up around 50kHz. But there you have a trade off, that high of a frequency will not do well detecting silver coins.

There are some really good gold detectors out there, especially used ones, that are well within your price range. That way you can get some quality headphones and a few extra coils and still be around $800.

I am in the Piedmont of NC, but never detected around Vein Mtn. Keep in mind though, almost all of western NC not only has gold in the ground, but alot of iron and black sand. (this is code for HIGH MINERALIZATION) It's not too bad once you get about 50 miles East or South of Charlotte, but up that way.... mineralized ground it what you will have.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread