Metal Detector Beginner - I Need Advice, Please!

Coin Sniper

Oct 16, 2012
Miami, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy, all!

My name is Victor. I was born and raised in Miami, Florida. I am 44 years old, have been married to my better half for 23 years and have three beautiful children, one of which is already in college. I've been through a few health issues and a couple of near-death accidents, so it's pretty safe to say that life has taught me and continues to teach me to get the most out of every day. Throughout my life, I've realized that there have been certain things that I have wanted to do, but for whatever reason, was unable to. I love the outdoors in general. More specifically, I enjoy boating, guns, ATVs, barbecuing/smoking and different types of photography, but there's still one thing that I haven't ventured into and that's metal detecting. I remember seeing different detectors in stores and wanting to give them a try, but never got the opportunity to do so. Well, that's what has ultimately brought me here!

In my almost non-existent spare time, I have been reading up on different metal detectors. Over the last 6-8 months, I've tried to absorb as much knowledge as possible about metal detectors by scouring the internet. I've seen my fair share of forum posts and YouTube videos. Being a gadget person and since I feel fairly comfortable with anything electronic or computerized, I have leaned heavily towards those metal detectors with informative screens on them. Since I have never owned or used a metal detector and am literally starting into this hobby from scratch, I wanted to run my decision by all of the experts here before pulling the trigger on the wrong piece of hardware.

I've decided that I will, more than likely, be purchasing a Minelab CTX-3030 Standard detector. I like the fact that it has waterproof capabilities and this is what edged my decision towards the Minelab over the other detector that I was ultimately considering, which was the White's Spectra V3i. I have a lot of opportunities to detect in or near water and wouldn't want to miss out on those opportunities by not having a waterproof machine.

At this point, I guess I have three questions for all of you before I proceed:

1) Would this be the wrong detector for a beginner like myself? I figured that I should just jump into the deep end of the lake and learn how to swim.

2) In your opinion, what would be the learning curve for a detector of this caliber? In other words, what I really need to know is, would this metal detector and the knowledge needed to run it properly be overwhelming to comprehend without first learning on a basic machine?

3) I have seen many posts made by current 3030 owners indicating that they've purchased their units for well below the standard MAP pricing that every vendor has to advertise on their websites and on eBay. Where can I purchase one of these metal detectors at a fair price, but also from a person or entity that will support me after the sale?

In closing, I apologize for my long-winded post, but I hadn't had the chance to formally introduce myself and I wanted to make sure that I covered all of my bases on my first post. Thank you for your time, your knowledge and for allowing me to become a part of your metal detecting family!

Take care, my friends, and "HH"! :)

bsloan

Jul 3, 2010
The heart of Aggieland
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Welcome Sniper, I wish I had knowledge on either of the machines you mentioned, but I don't. Have you checked locally if there is metal detector rentals in your area? If not, maybe there is a club close by, where a member may have the machines you mentioned. Just an idea,

Best of luck,
Bill

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello from White Plains, New York! Yes, you should buy a Minelab CTX 3030 as your first detector if tou can afford it. The learning curve is about 100-hours on the headphones. It can be 50-hours less if you have a hunting partner that already uses one and is willing to get you up to speed. Do you drive a car? Can you use a DVR to record your TV programs? You have a kid in college right? How the chocolate chip cookies is a freaking metal detector going to "overwhelm" you? LOL! You'll be fine! Just click on the sponsors here, and see who gets back to you quickly and with the best deal. Good Luck!

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reading about machines is much different then actually using them. Best advice, join a club so you'll be afforded the opportunity to gain first hand knowledge about a wide variety of machines, "before you drop the bucks". Picking the right machine is a lot like trying on gloves, they may or may not fit your hunting style or likes. You wouldn't buy a car without test driving some of them first, best to do the same thing with a metal detector. The guys at these clubs will be only too happy to let you try their various machines and to share some of the likes and dislikes and advantages and disadvantages about each of them. The last thing in the world you want is to be on the beach with a machine you have little confidence and comfort with. :icon_thumright:

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would not buy a top line metal detector if you have never detected before. I would hate to see you spend that kind of money to find out that you hate it or just don't have the time to do it. They cost alot of money especially with one in college and others on the way.

I've had good luck with purchasing used machines. This would be hard with the CTX 3030 since it just came out but there maybe some out there. If not then try a local dealer so you can try it out. As others mentioned joining a club would also be very helpful...if you can join it before you buy a detector. Someone will have an extra detector and take you out hunting so you can see what it is all about before you jump in with both feet and your wallet.

What will be your main type of detecting? Land, beach or in the water? Do you dive or are you planning on just searching the surf? If you are just hunting the wet sand then there is no need to have a water detector. Most if not all search coils are waterproof so even a land machine can be used in the water just don't get the control box wet.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

NJ

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it would be great to start at the top with the understanding it may take a bit longer to learn it. I would say it would be good to hunt with someone who already has one but not a necessity. Hope ya love the detector and the hobby. Best of luck.:icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
Coin Sniper

Coin Sniper

Oct 16, 2012
Miami, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill, thank you for your suggestion! Unfortunately, Miami is not a great place for metal detector groups, as far as I've been able to determine. Not many places have them and you don't see many people detecting, either. Occasionally, you'll see someone at the beach with one, but that's very few and far between. In retrospect, I guess that should be a good thing for me, right? :wink:

Terry, thank you for your suggestion, as well! Your post literally made me laugh! I've been through a few "doozies" in my life, so I guess that metal detecting shouldn't be any worse. If it is, though, you'll eventually be reading about some guy in Miami that went crazy and threw his metal detector off the top of a building! :laughing7:

Scoop, I appreciate your suggestion! As I mentioned to Bill above, Miami is not a great place for metal detector groups. If I end up purchasing a CTX and it's not something that I can overcome, I'll be okay with that. I can always sell it and recoup some of my original purchase price. If I take a hit on the difference, I'll chalk it up to learning time, which is something that I know I'm going to need, regardless. Thanks, again, for your suggestion!

NJ, thank you for your input! I'm not in any rush to acquire a detector, so I'll either pick up a new one (if the price is right) or pick up a used one (if the price and condition is right). Fortunately, I planned out my children's education when each of them were born, so any funding I have for my hobbies are completely separate from their education. As a father, I know that their education and well-being is priority number one! My primary use will be in public parks, but I will also use it in areas of the Everglades that used to be inhabited by people, until the federal government initiated their Everglades Restoration Project and kicked everyone out. My parents have a home on the west coast of Florida (Marco Island), so I'll definitely want to use it on the beach over there, both in the sandy areas and in the shallow surf. They have a place up near Ocala, as well, which is riddled with public parks, so I can see myself hunting in those areas when my family goes up to visit them. Finally, Miami is loaded with beaches, so I can also hunt in the sandy areas and shallow surf of these places. The high possibility for interaction with water is precisely why I was leaning more towards the CTX, instead of the V3i. I'd hate to accidentally drop a V3i in shallow saltwater! :BangHead:

TN, thank you for your input! By the way, I love Tennessee! On and off, I spent a good part of the last six years in the foothills between Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg, about two hours east of where you are. If I'm still alive by the time I get to my retirement age (which should be 85 by then :icon_scratch: ), I hope to retire there. My wife and I absolutely LOVE the mountains!!! Now that I think about it, there are a couple of places over there that would be great for relic hunting. Hmmm... :icon_thumright:

barberman

Oct 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Garret Ace 250 with 5x8 DD coil will work fine. The 3030 is way too much everything. You want a machine that is deep, simple and most of all..... Something your kids can use. Ace 250 with 5x8 dd coil is the way to go.

twiprod001

Jun 21, 2011
Florida
Hi Victor, my name is Bernie. I am the founder of the St Lucie Treasure Hunters Club in St Lucie County Fl. I work in the Miami area quite often and try to detect the parks and beaches when ever I'm there. If you want to do some detecting let me know. I've been detecting in Florida off and on since 1981 and I might be able to help with some shortcuts. Also, with having 89 club members there's bound to be someone who can help you learn what ever machine you decide to purchase. If you haven't puschased a machine yet let me know, I work with a few dealers and may be able to get you some type of discount. I'll be in Miami this week Tuesday 10/23 & Wednesday 10/24 and I'm usually back at the hotel by 1pm so there's plenty of daylight to hunt somewhere.

Happy Hunting
Bernie Caffaro
www.stlucietreasurehunters.vpweb.com

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just my two cents on an ace 250 there no good in the wet sand, they false target but great in the dry sand.

dougofpa

Banned
May 18, 2012
PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett ACE 250, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, the ace 250 is an excellent beginner machine....but i would recommend the Garrett AT PRO if you want water proof and also very user friendly. I would hate to see you spend that kind of money and get frustrated trying to figure out this machine...you will still dig junk regardless of what machine you get or how much you spend,,,No machine on earth can tell you what is in the ground before you dig...start out with a machine that is user friendly before you go all out....just my thoughts...good luck..HH

panewbie

Greenie
Oct 19, 2012
Brockway,PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro White's Prizm IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well Victor a good all round machine even in up to 10 ft of water is the Garrett AT Pro. Alot easier to learn then the minelab just my 2 cents worth

newfie

Greenie
Feb 20, 2011
Dawsonville, Ga
Detector(s) used
whites,fisher
is the AT Pro a good land detector also? I have a whites and fisher water detector that I use on a reglar basis but just got invited to search a civil war site and also have a house built in 1820 that i was given permission to hunt but i'm in the market for a good land detector.....would the AT Pro fit?

OP
OP
Coin Sniper

Coin Sniper

Oct 16, 2012
Miami, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
twiprod001 said:
Hi Victor, my name is Bernie. I am the founder of the St Lucie Treasure Hunters Club in St Lucie County Fl. I work in the Miami area quite often and try to detect the parks and beaches when ever I'm there. If you want to do some detecting let me know. I've been detecting in Florida off and on since 1981 and I might be able to help with some shortcuts. Also, with having 89 club members there's bound to be someone who can help you learn what ever machine you decide to purchase. If you haven't puschased a machine yet let me know, I work with a few dealers and may be able to get you some type of discount. I'll be in Miami this week Tuesday 10/23 & Wednesday 10/24 and I'm usually back at the hotel by 1pm so there's plenty of daylight to hunt somewhere.

Happy Hunting
Bernie Caffaro
www.stlucietreasurehunters.vpweb.com

Bernie, thank you for the offer! I will definitely contact you if I need help.

leprechaun said:
Just my two cents on an ace 250 there no good in the wet sand, they false target but great in the dry sand.

Leprechaun, thank you for the heads-up!

dougofpa said:
Yes, the ace 250 is an excellent beginner machine....but i would recommend the Garrett AT PRO if you want water proof and also very user friendly. I would hate to see you spend that kind of money and get frustrated trying to figure out this machine...you will still dig junk regardless of what machine you get or how much you spend,,,No machine on earth can tell you what is in the ground before you dig...start out with a machine that is user friendly before you go all out....just my thoughts...good luck..HH

Doug, thank you for your insight!

panewbie said:
Well Victor a good all round machine even in up to 10 ft of water is the Garrett AT Pro. Alot easier to learn then the minelab just my 2 cents worth

Panewbie, thank you for your suggestion!

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Minelab Excal!

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You strike me as the type that would be very comfortable taking on the challenge of a high-end machine. In fact the first time I read this thread, my first thought was you would not be happy with anything less than a mid-level machine. That's before I got to what machines you were considering. In fact I think you'd probably hate an entry level machine.

If you haven't already done so, read the manuals online before taking a decision. Though from what I've read you'll probably want the Minelab. Plus if at all possible visit a MD shop and try it before buying. Good Luck!

OP
OP
Coin Sniper

Coin Sniper

Oct 16, 2012
Miami, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You strike me as the type that would be very comfortable taking on the challenge of a high-end machine. In fact the first time I read this thread, my first thought was you would not be happy with anything less than a mid-level machine. That's before I got to what machines you were considering. In fact I think you'd probably hate an entry level machine.

If you haven't already done so, read the manuals online before taking a decision. Though from what I've read you'll probably want the Minelab. Plus if at all possible visit a MD shop and try it before buying. Good Luck!

Mz, thank you for your suggestion and your vote of confidence! I did just as you recommended and read the manual online. Having never had a metal detector in my hand, it was a little painful to follow along in the manual without having the hardware to go through, so I dove in an aquired the CTX. I'm very happy with what I'm seeing, so far. As has already been suggested, I really need to get out there and get it dirty in the field. That's truly the only way I'll be able to learn the machine and its vast amount of options. As for your final suggestion, I would've loved to have visited a shop that had a variety of detectors, but South Florida doesn't seem to be very conducive to the metal detecting hobby.

Thanks again for your suggestion and HH!!!

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sniper. If you are not seeing detectorists down at the beaches of Miami, you aren't at the beach at 3 AM. South Beach is FAMOUS for its crowds.... and the amount of jewelry they lose. The detectorists down there (I was one of them) are going home when the sunbathers a first getting to the beach. TTC

OP
OP
Coin Sniper

Coin Sniper

Oct 16, 2012
Miami, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TerryC said:
Sniper. If you are not seeing detectorists down at the beaches of Miami, you aren't at the beach at 3 AM. South Beach is FAMOUS for its crowds.... and the amount of jewelry they lose. The detectorists down there (I was one of them) are going home when the sunbathers a first getting to the beach. TTC

Terry, I agree with your logic COMPLETELY, but 3:00am is NOT in my vocabulary! LOL! I guess I need to work on more than just learning the detector, right?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread