Metal detector coils

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a curious mind, question is regardless of the brand detector u use, would u say the average or at best the coils detect up. To 2 feet deep or range obviously, appreciate your opinion yes I understand it depends which one using. Also expensive as they would b and the idea of digging deeper, and weight why haven’t they made a coil to search deeper, if so educate me. I appreciate your honest response.

Are they hobby detectors and so called commercial detectors that perform such depths

Iffy Signals

Sep 17, 2018
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Current-Deus & Equinox 800. Past - CTX, F75, AT Pro/Max, F44, Patriot.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont have experiance with PI machines but have had a wide range of hobby from the At pro to CTX and i would say the range is around 12-14” max on a coin size object.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The target size has much to do with how deep you can detect. I can hit a soda can deeper than I can on a dime. I have never used a PI machine, but I here they go deeper than a VLF machine, the only drawback is there is no discrimination. Many CW relic hunters use these and dig everything.

My question to you is "How many 2ft deep holes do you want to dig in a day"?

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello 49er12,

Also a very deep quality (Silver, gold...etc.) target will most likely pull the VID down below it's expected region. Thus giving you the incorrect information needed to make a dig or not dig decision. I have used some very large coils and yes they get deep, but I dig everything while relic hunting. Larger items return more signal to be analyzed and smaller coin size (small jewelry) less. At depths of 3" - 6" it probably makes no difference with quality machines. Think of large aluminum cans we dig at ridiculous depths, they produce a very large return signal which throws off the depth gauge...etc. I have dug many silver coins extremely deep that were showing a VID in the foil through iron region. Now other factors also play here (soil conditions, target orientation, metal type, machine settings...etc.) but you get the idea.

Sorry for the long reply

Doc

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's all true a bigger coil will go deeper but you will lose depth on smaller targets most people think they gain on smaller but they don't read up and research the science behind it. Also a large coil you don't want to use in a target rich area cause everything under the coil will be sending a signal. Do research talk with the tech guys at the coil muanufacturers

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread