Metal Detector Recommendation

nudels

Jun 21, 2008
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Vantage AD-14, Tesoro Sand Shark
I have been looking and reading about a lot the different types of machines out there, and if someone came to you with the following criteria, what detector would you recommend:

1) Budget of $500'ish or less. Prefer less!
2) I pretty much dig every target, or at least attempt to. I try to use the dual discrimination on my MD to figure out what it is but I still dig it even if I think it's junk. That is not to say i'd turn my nose at discrimination capability, just in the big picture I know my curiosity always gets the best of me .
3) I hunt mainly the beach, so a machine with no issues in salt water/wet or mineralized sand is a must.
4) Waterproof/dive capable. Not that I dive (certified, just don't go) but I want one that is well built and will take the surf no problem.
5) Don't mind used, as long as it is a good value/performer and not leaky, prefer new.

Thanks for any input!

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Because you are interested in digging every target I would suggest a used PI detector, something like a Whites PI Pro or Sand Shark. There are other good PI's out there too like the Garrett Mark II, Fisher Impulse. These are all water detectors and can handle some wet.

The VLF's that are water detectors in your price range are the Fisher 1280, Tiger Shark, Beach Hunter ID. These 3 could have problems in the shallow water where the waves wash onto the black sand, but are stable up farther on the wet sand or in the water farther.

If you want the best, the Sov GT is a great beach machine, just not waterproof. For that the Excal 1000 is the best in my opinion, but higher in price.

guzz1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2007
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 . Carrot
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Get a Sandshark great in the salt and deep PI. I just sold one ,, 2 months old in perfect condition for 420.00. keep checking internet auctions or out classified here .. good luck ,, guzz

OP
OP
nudels

nudels

Jun 21, 2008
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Vantage AD-14, Tesoro Sand Shark
Thanks for the recommendations, I decided to go with the Sand Shark, it pretty much fits the bill and is a different tech (PI) than my current machine (VLF), so it adds to my "stable". I also decided to go new as I tend to keep my gear for a long time and with the lifetime warranty it seems it can't be beat.

I thought more about used gear but I have trouble getting past thoughts like "how many times was this dropped" or "was it left in a trunk for 3 months" or "how many careless slob nose pickers had this before me". OK not so much the last one (except for people who practice poor or no maintenance), but more like "what subtle thing is wrong with this that made them get rid of it".

Looking forward to see how deep this puppy will go :).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread