Metal Detector Store or Sales in Central Illinois?

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where you at in Ill, Sounder? Peoria's my home town. Moved from there in 76 and never been back.

OP
OP
S

sounder

True_Metal, I am just about 25 miles to the southeast outside of Peoria in a little town named Mackinaw. As I like to tell people, I am in the beautiful and scenic Mackinaw River Valley. Just another small town in central Illinois, but we like it here. I retired from good old Caterpillar Tractor Co., or locally known as The Big Yellow. I was probably on of "Peoria's Finest in blue" when you lived there. I quit that job in 1969. sounder

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Two of my Uncles worked for Caterpillar and one of my cousins. Any of these names sound familiar? Ed Vineyard, Greg Rummel, Kurt Rummel. Small world isn't it. :D

OP
OP
S

sounder

Yes it is a small world. I have run into people that I know in some of the darndest places far away from here. Sorry, but none of the names that you mentioned rings a bell, but you have to remember that in the 70's there were 35,000 people working at Cat in the East Peoria plant and area. Now there are just 7,000 or less working there. Thats really sad isn't it? >:( Talk to ya later!! sounder

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes that is sad! My uncle Greg is about to retire from there and my uncle Ed retired from there in the 70's. You were an officer? The Peoria PD with the help of the city snowplows drove my mother who was in labor with me, from Creve Couer over the river to the hospital when all the roads were closed during the blizzard of 67. If one of those officers was you i'm going to flip out! :D

OP
OP
S

sounder

No, that wasn't me who drove your mom to the hospital, HOWEVER I was an officer at that time. WOW :o The world just got a little smaller yet! sounder

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was a long shot, but an amazing coincedence none the less. My family moved from there in 76 when my father who worked for Continental Can Co was transferred to the Northwest Indiana CCC plant in Portage. I have in fact been back to Peoria for my Grandfathers funeral in 79 and then again 4 months later for my grandmothers funeral who died from a broken heart. And yes, the world did just get a little smaller :D Take care.

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
try Rene's Treasure Trove in Bloomington, Illinois. He used to carry all garretts, most white's and some others. Owners name is Rene LeNeve and you can get the number through swtchboard.com. Most likely using his home phone for business. exanimo, ss

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
There's a private detective in Pekin who also sells MD's out of a shop. Here's some from the Fisher dealer list:

Time Capsule Collectables & Dawson Det.Agency,JLD
515 Charlotte St, Pekin, IL
309-347-8863

Bobs Coin Catchers
P.O. Box 105
Hartsburg, IL 62643
217-642-5403

Heartland Metal Detectors
804 Osage Street
Normal, IL 61761
309-530-0857

Go to the website for any mfr you're interested in and check their dealer list!

OP
OP
S

sounder

Thanks Lowbatts! I have been to the one in Pekin one time and found him closed for the day. I never went back, but I probably will this winter. I have contacted the one in Bloomington, and have to set up a meeting with him in the near future. This guy is really a nice guy to talk to on the phone. I look forward to meeting him. I didn't know about the one in Hartsburg. I'll give him a call. sounder ;D

Yosemite Sam

Greenie
Mar 26, 2004
You might try Paul. He is in my club and has always had fair prices for equipment. Not exactly central IL, but close.

Paul's Detecting
1238 Allanson Rd
Mundelein, IL 60060
847-566-4151

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Hi Yosemite, I thought Paul was working from home these days. Saw him at the I & I hunt and he said that at that time. Did get a better price from him as well, but it'd be a road trip for Sounder. He's an awesome information depot as well. Have you been hunting the woods by the river with the club? I've heard about the great finds coming out of there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions