Metal detector suggestions

jmz82

Greenie
Feb 27, 2014
I'm new and I'm sure it's been cover but I plan on getting an al purpose detector. What do you guys suggest for someone looking to go as cheap as possible without buying junk? What do I get for spending $400 over $300 over $200 over $100? I was looking around for used stuff too seems a lot of people either have stuff over my budget and/or want new price for their used equipment.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

detectingpro

Feb 14, 2014
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Fisher F2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wouldnt bother with the ace 250! or even 350! get the Fisher F2! mine works great and people say the f2 finds things that even The 350 misses! Good luck

whitewill_1

Jan 5, 2013
Pittsburgh PA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, Whites TDI, FISHER F2, BOUNTY HUNTER JUNIOR, WHITES COINMASTER 6000Di S2, Garrett ProPointer, FISHER PINPOINTER, SUNJOE HORI HORI DIGGER
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have an F2 and it is a good beginners detector. You should check out the Teknetics Eurotec models. I have not used them but hear they are very good.

OP
OP
J

jmz82

Greenie
Feb 27, 2014
Thanks for the suggestions, right now I'm leaning towards an f2 based on price and the quality I've heard from multiple people.

BarbertonHack

Mar 3, 2014
Barberton
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi guys I have a similar problem. I am fortunate to live in an old gold mining town, which still has plenty gold in the area. It is quite old, founded in 1884, but prospected long before that. I am a newbie to the whole metal detecting thing, but have a major interest in relics from days gone by. An added bonus obviously is gold nuggets which are still found in the rivers and streams in the area, although not as plentiful as in days gone by. Hence my dilemma, what metal detector to buy. As a beginner with a limited budget, I have no desire to spend thousands of dollars although I might end up doing it, once the bug has bitten.:-) That being said, as the ground mineral content is quite high, I would assume "noise" will be a big problem. So what do I buy? I have been looking at the Fisher F2, Bounty Hunter 505, and quite a few others, but I am not sure they are the right choice for a beginner with these difficult circumstances. My main objective are relics, rather than gold nuggets. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Regards from a Golden South Africa

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will need a machine with ground balance. An Xterra 505 or 705 Gold pack( my choice for your area) would be a good machine. Do your research and watch as many videos as possible to see what machines you may like to listen to and use. Audio is a huge deal breaker for me and what machines I prefer. The AT Gold would be another good machine for nuggets and it's waterproof to 10 feet.

Last edited:

BarbertonHack

Mar 3, 2014
Barberton
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you very much Fletch, I do appreciate the suggestions greatly. Will keep you informed of the final decision, hopefully with some artifact pictures:-)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread