Metal detectorist drowns in Wisconsin lake

cartoonasaurus

Tenderfoot
Jun 27, 2005
Very sad news. Thought I would share.

http://www.rhinelanderdailynews.com/articles/2005/08/15/news/local_news/news02.txt

Local News
Man drowns in Lake Nokomis
By Daily News staff

A 42-year-old Oconomowoc man drowned in Lake Nokomis Sunday evening.

According to the Lincoln County Sheriff's Department Wayne A. Otto was using an underwater metal detector when he apparently stepped off a steep edge of the lake and disappeared into water estimated to be eleven feet deep.

Otto's companions were able to recover him from the water and bring him ashore. Bystanders called 911 at approximately 5:36 p.m. and performed CPR on Otto until paramedics arrived.

Tomahawk EMS, Nokomis First Responders and deputies from Lincoln and Oneida Counties all responded to the scene.

Otto was transported to Sacred Heart Hospital where he was later pronounced dead.

Upvote 0

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tragic news! That's one thing I am really leary of when in the water. It can happen so quick. I have thought about wearing a snorkel, mask and fins when just wading. At least if you step off a drop off you could swim out very easily. If it should happen to you, don't try to hang on to that detector! Let it go and save your skin. You can always go back and find that detector later. Any other safety tips from you long time water hunters? JIM

omnicognic

Bronze Member
Jan 22, 2005
Tampa, Florida
He must not have been using a Whites Beach Hunter ID, mine is so buoyant that he could have paddled it across the lake! On the other hand, they didn't mention if he was weighed down by his finds......

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
:'( :'( I have never thought of drop-offs in the water, I guess they could be dangerous, along with rip tides in the ocean. But i already tried and i can swim with my detector, so if i did find a drop off i could swim away or just drop my detector because it floats.
But you gotta be carefull of those and rip tides in the ocean, a couple of people already died of riptides this year too. If you ever get caught in a riptide swim to the side and out of it, dont try and fight it.

SparklyStuff

Jul 14, 2005
I'm guessing that's the detector dealer. :-\

Well, like I told Jake a while back, please wear a floatation device if you're just out skimming the shores or wading. A type I or type II PFD may turn an unconscious wearer face up.

Freak accidents do happen...like slipping and hitting your head on a rock, going under due to a sudden pain, slipping and breaking an ankle or hip.

Treat yourself with just as much care as you would your own kids or grandkids out in the water.

Please remember - even the best swimmers can drown. :'(

warthog steve

Mar 23, 2003
Brown City,Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett 1350GTA for dry,Fisher 1280X for wet........
:othat settles it for me!!! :-XFrom now on,when I am detecting in the water with my mask on;I will have my snorlek too-it attatches right to my mask-could save my arse some day!!! 8)

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
youd be surprised how many people dont know how to swim.they ought to teach that stuff at every school in the country. if you have kids for cryin out loud ,teach them to swim or get them swimming lessons.it could save their lives someday.

greggww

Greenie
Aug 14, 2005
Richardson Tx.
That snorkel probably wouldn't help in a 11 ft deep hole...I am a strong enough swimmer that the lakes don't worry me to much, but it is a whole differnt story in the ocean.

miester

May 21, 2005
Wi
This happened on L. Nokomis near Tomahawk, I happened to be passing by the lake when I saw the squads rushing by. That lake is loaded with dropoffs, very steep ones. Sorry to hear it.

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you wear a wet suit (shorty or full) you don't have to worry about this because,

the suit will make you float no matter how hard you try to go under (and 99.9% guaranteed, if this guy had one on, this woudn't have happened).

I wear mine every time I hunt the water along with "diver booties"? (I'm a scuba diver also) but,

once I wore a wet suit and booties in the water for the 1st time, I knew there was no going back,

it provides protection in several different ways,

warmth in colder water, bouyency to avoid sinking, protection against cutting yourself on things in the water and or getting stung by sea-life, etc. etc.

I woudn't enter the water past waist deep with out my gear on no matter what, and NEVER hunt water that is murky/dirty...

T

THC

I've heard of people wearing heavy weightbelts to work against the neoprene buoyancy and more, so they can get more weight onto the scoop. Unless you've got a quick release buckle, you are fu**ed!

P

pidjammies1

I've never hunted in the water but I know from growing up in minnesota that those lakes are full of drop offs. I'll stick to dry land.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread