Metal detectorist makes a discovery that could change our understanding of Anglo...

garryson

Bronze Member
Dec 4, 2007
Hungary
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
[h=2]Maidenhead search society member Sue Washington uncovers warrior burial site near the town of Marlow in Berkshire.[/h]A metal detectorist has uncovered a warrior burial site near the Berkshire town of Marlow that is so significant it could change historians’ understanding of southern Britain in the sixth century.

PRI_167400194-687x916.jpg

Read more: https://inews.co.uk/news/science/me...r-understanding-of-anglo-saxon-britain-676810

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Imagine what would be found and experienced /learned from if the U.S. would adopt the same policy /stance as the U.K. has concerning metal detectorists.

mindcrime1988

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus II, DetectorPro Headhunter, BlissTool & Pulsedive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Neat story and good for her. It is finds like this that make the hobby so exciting and intriguing.

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
Imagine what would be found and experienced /learned from if the U.S. would adopt the same policy /stance as the U.K. has concerning metal detectorists.
a huge "private property" issue to be addressed
where would the line be set: pottery and/or lithics

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a huge "private property" issue to be addressed
where would the line be set: pottery and/or lithics

Hola Amigo

Just because there is a very good potable antiquities scheme in the UK does not mean you have an automatic right to detect on peoples property. Nor can you violate scheduled public historic site. However the law in the UK half goes to the finder and half to landholder. So for some landholder when approached by a detectorist to detect their property. There is clear law that protects both parties if some thing of value is found.

While the landholder has the right to refuse anyone detecting their land. In principle if they was legally entitled to half what is found then its powerful incentive to let detetorist search.

In other countries which rely ambiguous laws which usually end up in courts fighting over ownership of treasure. The only winner is lawyers.

So for me ultimately the property owner has the right to say yes or no to a search. And 50/50 rule protects both parties. And independent body determines the value of the find.

As for pottery and/or lithics there is no real market for such items as 99% are broken in the uk from generations of plowing the fields. Most get handed In and are either given back to be shared by the finder and owner 50/05 or who ever wants the item or as most landowners and detectorist do give to the local museum.

So for me in regards to what happens in the UK there is no huge Property Issue.

Personally I like to see it adopted all over the world.

Kanacki

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
Hi Kanacki
I too admire the UK system.
I am not in agreement with the US 'system'.
My post to ARC was to illustrate the need to change, which would not be acceptable to most.

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hola Bill

Its not just in America there is 3 cases of treasure trove in Australia with 3 very different outcomes. 3 different judges gave judgements with 3 different interpretations.

Kanacki

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
Hola Bill

Its not just in America there is 3 cases of treasure trove in Australia with 3 very different outcomes. 3 different judges gave judgements with 3 different interpretations.

Kanacki
probably varying from statist to non-statist, all the difference in the world

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BillA is right. Would be a huge private property issue to work out in the US.

The 5th amendment of the US constitution protects us from unjust seizure of private property for public benefit.
There is no "crown" to retain ownership of treasure, which would be considered an appurtenance to private land ownership. Thank god.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now I'd be in favor of a system regarding treasure on public lands.

Lots to be learned from recoveries that get hidden away for fear of prosecution.

xaos

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While the landholder has the right to refuse anyone detecting their land. In principle if they was legally entitled to half what is found then its powerful incentive to let detetorist search.
I think it should be made clear that when turned in, the UK decides the value.

They also determine whether to return the artefacts to the finder/property owner,
or to keep the artefacts, and give the finder/property owner the VALUE of the artefacts found....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread