Metal Detectors in General

bhdiscgolf

Jan 6, 2014
Bella Vista, AR
Detector(s) used
Looking for recommendation - prefer to stay under $300.00
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've noticed this site is very heavy on Kellyco and probably receives some nice funding for the amount of AD(s) they carry. But what I'm not finding is the actual low down on detectors in general.
Kellyco is selling detectors as if they are discounted when in fact you can buy the same detector from Cabelas for the same low price, they sugar coat it with free accessories, most worth 1/4 or less of what Kellyco says. Yes we all know its about Advertising but what I want to see is truth, not fiction.
When I click to look at gold detectors all I see is ultra high end products, which suggests that 95% of the detectors are unable to help you find gold. If your going to do a serious breakdown to help people, then do it, don't muddy the waters and allow yourself to become only about the almighty dollar.
It's bad enough that we have a government that is trying as hard as it can to block all prospecting and passing legislation that could land you in jail for being in the wrong spot, even if it was unintentional.
Let's narrow the amount of searching people need to do to get there feet on the ground and enjoy prospecting for both fun and rewards. Tell Kellyco if your going to sugar coat sales, be honest on the true values, and more importantly tell us who really manufacturer the stuff your wanting to make us think we would be getting for free. One last thing, if it comes from China post it, we have the right to know ahead of time.

gsxraddict

Sep 21, 2005
Resaca, GA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800, Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Call Kellyco, their actual prices are way less than they say on the website. I bought my v3i from them for only $1200 listed at $1400 on their website.

But check with other independant dealers, I bought my Minelab from Detector Depot, detectordepot.com, and she gave me a great deal.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I guess you haven't been watching TV lately. Advertising is the art of the illusion. Look at that pixie dust that you sprinkle on your food and it makes you loose weight! lol Look at the wild gyrations in ads to get your attention. I think P. T. Barnum started it in earnest. You just have to develop a good B.S. Filter. Frank...
Bull 3.jpg

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've noticed this site is very heavy on Kellyco and probably receives some nice funding for the amount of AD(s) they carry. But what I'm not finding is the actual low down on detectors in general.
Kellyco is selling detectors as if they are discounted when in fact you can buy the same detector from Cabelas for the same low price, they sugar coat it with free accessories, most worth 1/4 or less of what Kellyco says. Yes we all know its about Advertising but what I want to see is truth, not fiction.
When I click to look at gold detectors all I see is ultra high end products, which suggests that 95% of the detectors are unable to help you find gold. If your going to do a serious breakdown to help people, then do it, don't muddy the waters and allow yourself to become only about the almighty dollar.
It's bad enough that we have a government that is trying as hard as it can to block all prospecting and passing legislation that could land you in jail for being in the wrong spot, even if it was unintentional.
Let's narrow the amount of searching people need to do to get there feet on the ground and enjoy prospecting for both fun and rewards. Tell Kellyco if your going to sugar coat sales, be honest on the true values, and more importantly tell us who really manufacturer the stuff your wanting to make us think we would be getting for free. One last thing, if it comes from China post it, we have the right to know ahead of time.

Kellyco is a supporting vendor just like all our other supporting vendors.

You can get discounts from Kellyco or our other vendors you will not get from Cabelas...

Prices shown are suggested retail prices and are no different than prices shown for any other products sold such as cars and TVs...

90% of the free stuff is furnished by the manufacturer not kellyco....

A smart buyer should always do their own homework and research the product they are wanting to buy before buying from any seller no matter who it is especially when the product costs hundreds or thousands of dollars.

It is always the buyers responsibility to be informed on what he is wanting to buy....

3%

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM

MALO PERICULOSAM, LIBERTATEM QUAM QUIETAM SERVITUTEM

We will NOT go quietly into the night!

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

This forum has a lot of sponsors. Take your time and speak with a few of them. All metal detectors will find gold, it is just a matter of how large the target is and how deep. Prices reflect many different options such as manual ground balancing, sensitivity and discrimination, programable search modes and waterproof models. Do some more research on American made detectors like Tesoro out of Prescott, Arizona (yes there are others!). If you are looking for a good "starter" machine, here are a few to research:

JunkShopFiddler

Bronze Member
Feb 15, 2013
SW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got a sandwich at Subway, and it didn't look anything the picture of a sandwich at Subway.

CWnut

May 9, 2003
E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tigershark----Tesoro Conquistador Umax------Fisher FX-3----Master Hunter CX-Plus w/ depth multiplier
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
some cars go over 100mph in 6 seconds, others may never reach 100mph, but they all still sell...the information is there, just cool down and do some research b4 u buy

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Treasure_Hunter... my fave is Vini. Vidi. Vici. TTC

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure_Hunter... my fave is Vini. Vidi. Vici. TTC

"I came, I saw, I conquered"

3%

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM

MALO PERICULOSAM, LIBERTATEM QUAM QUIETAM SERVITUTEM

We will NOT go quietly into the night!

Eddie Current

May 17, 2011
Flooorida
Detector(s) used
CTX /AT Pro / Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Forum has a lot of good info on almost all the detectors on the market. I spent a lot of time just reading comments on brands in my price range. The guys on TNet have a lot of great insight and comments. Relax and enjoy researching the various options.

:hello2:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Forum has a lot of good info on almost all the detectors on the market. I spent a lot of time just reading comments on brands in my price range. The guys on TNet have a lot of great insight and comments. Relax and enjoy researching the various options.

:hello2:
Welcome to the net! You are among like-minded individuals... and a few (like myself) that just won't shut up! A lot of info here.... but you may have to sift some of the garbage from the facts. As you can see by the long list of specialties, we have a diverse group. Enjoy your stay! Terry

ffighter14

Dec 13, 2013
Long Island New York
Detector(s) used
MXT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After researching the hobby and all detectors I cant wait to go out and start to learn my detector. Thanks all for advice on helping me choose the right detector fore me.(MXT PRO)

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After researching the hobby and all detectors I cant wait to go out and start to learn my detector. Thanks all for advice on helping me choose the right detector fore me.(MXT PRO)
Whatever machine you choose, GIVE IT A CHANCE! That is to say, put in the recommended 100 hours to fully understand what is going on before calling it a failure. Bells and whistles or stripped down model, it is the SOUND you must learn! I have been detecting 45 years or so. Bells and whistles have their place but the "brain housing group" on your shoulders determines your success. TTC

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kellyco, as you correctly state, is now about volume. If you want a personal and informative purchase, just call Bart!
Peace

Dec 12, 2010
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug DP, Fisher F19 LTD, Minelab Safari, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Pro Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger, Lesche Ground Shark Shovel, 9.5x5.5 NEL Sharpshooter Coil (Safari), 9.5x
I agree with some of the other comments above. You have to hold yourself accountable for your own research. A dealer like "Kellyco" are very nice on the phone and do try to listen to what you are looking for. However, Kellyco and all the other dealers cannot prescribe you the perfect detector over the phone or the net like a perfect prescription to an ailment. Kellyco for instance is located in Florida as other dealers are spread around other parts of our fine country.
They may not know your specific soil type, climate, land conditions, or style of hunting you may or may not want to do, so they are somewhat depending on you to know those answers and contact them for the purchase. They will handle the sale, the shipping, customer satisfaction, technical help, and warranty. So, research what exactly you want and then decide who seems to give you the best offer in your opinion.
Personally, I ended up purchasing my Minelab and package deal from Ron at "Windy City Detectors" in Chicago. Got a great deal. Got a Minelab Safari (Refurb) looked new to me, Lesche Digger w/sheath, Grey Ghost headphones, Garrett Pro Pointer w/holster, and Minelab heavy duty carrying/storage bag all for $750.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions