Metal Detectors??

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Welcome to the forum. I love my Garrett Ace 250. I'm sure that you will get alot of different opinions on what's the best detector out there. I think it will depend on what you want to hunt for. Good luck!

HH,
Moon

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark
definatly the Ace 250. My hunting buddy JuJu got one for his wife and it is really easy to learn plus she almost found a gold ring on her first time out with it, but it was gold plated. So I would say go with the Ace $250. I think it's around $200-$400.

nova

Jan 10, 2009
Utah
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT //Fisher CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a whites xlt and a fisher cz3d. However I think the ace would do just as well as my two machines. I have seen alot of good finds from people using the ace 250 on here.

DrGrip

Apr 12, 2009
North, Texas
Detector(s) used
White's XLT & Quick Draw II
Rorschach said:
What is the Best Metal Detector for the money? I don't wanta go into the $1000.00.. just wondering whats out there to get the job done..Thanks

WOW!! That's a loaded question for sure.

What do you want to do with it? Look for coins in a tot-lot or look for CW relics? Is there something you are looking for that is supposedly 5 feet underground?

IF you are looking to get into the hobby and look for coins, relics, and general neat stuff, then the BEST MD you can buy is the one you can afford.

My main unit is a White's XLT, but I also use a Bounty Hunter now and then as well. They both ROCK in my opinion, but I tend to lean towards the tot-lots and parks with the occasional old homestead thrown in.

The BEST unit opinion will differ from hunter to hunter, what you need to do is decide what your main thrust will be in hunting and then look at the different detectors out there in your price range and then make a decision.

ALL of them will find things for you, the main thing about ALL of them is to get to know them and use them in several different applications before making up your mind about whether or not you like this type of thing.

Now, for general MDing and an overall good time; you can't beat a Garrett Ace 250. Not too bad of a price and like others have said, they find stuff...

Give us a few specifics and then we can make a suggestion or 6... ;D

Grip

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DrGrip said:
Rorschach said:
What is the Best Metal Detector for the money? I don't wanta go into the $1000.00.. just wondering whats out there to get the job done..Thanks
WOW!! That's a loaded question for sure.
What do you want to do with it? Look for coins in a tot-lot or look for CW relics? Is there something you are looking for that is supposedly 5 feet underground?
IF you are looking to get into the hobby and look for coins, relics, and general neat stuff, then the BEST MD you can buy is the one you can afford.
My main unit is a White's XLT, but I also use a Bounty Hunter now and then as well. They both ROCK in my opinion, but I tend to lean towards the tot-lots and parks with the occasional old homestead thrown in.
The BEST unit opinion will differ from hunter to hunter, what you need to do is decide what your main thrust will be in hunting and then look at the different detectors out there in your price range and then make a decision.
ALL of them will find things for you, the main thing about ALL of them is to get to know them and use them in several different applications before making up your mind about whether or not you like this type of thing.
Now, for general MDing and an overall good time; you can't beat a Garrett Ace 250. Not too bad of a price and like others have said, they find stuff...
Give us a few specifics and then we can make a suggestion or 6... ;D
Grip

Hi Rorschach, welcome to this forum... :newbie:

I agree with Grip for sure. I would think the advice about a Ace 250 could be good for a start, to get the hang of metal detecting, and not so expensive. When the bug really bites you (MD) you can always move on to something else (keeping the Ace as a backup). I would also to to these sections of this forum and read what the detectorists say there...

Metal Detecting
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/board,4.0.html
Metal Detector Reviews
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/board,208.0.html

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would study Todays find and see what people are finding and decide what you want to hunt .Look and see what they have. I hunt mostly relics and have an old Tesoro. It has a life time warranty.I keep thinking I need a new machine but mine seems to be working fine. You may spend what ever you wish on one ,,,but bells and whistles can distract you and make you miss things,,,,, Good luck with your new hobby and welcome to T-Net

TnMtns

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
TnMountains said:
I would study Todays find and see what people are finding and decide what you want to hunt .Look and see what they have. I hunt mostly relics and have an old Tesoro. It has a life time warranty.I keep thinking I need a new machine but mine seems to be working fine. You may spend what ever you wish on one ,,,but bells and whistles can distract you and make you miss things,,,,, Good luck with your new hobby and welcome to T-Net

TnMtns
Now that is the truth i had more good finds with my old garrett freedom 2 Coin Commander no screen just sound ...than i ever had with a detector with all the bells and whistles.got rid of all all my high price detectors with all the bells and whistles and display screens ....they did not find any more than my reasonable priced detectors...............Now a lot are brain washed in to thinking that the more they pay for a detector the more they will find....... Not So.........................................

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
Welcome aboard. Glad to have you with us. If you are just getting into the hobby, I would recommend the Tesoro Compadre. It is a lightweight, turn on and go detector. There are no bells, whistles, or other doo dads to play with. Plus, it comes with the excellent Tesoro customer service. I have 2 Tesoro dectectors and love them both. Hope it helps.

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to the sport. Dont worry about which one is best ,Just buy one . After two years, you'll end up with 3 or 4 more metal detectors like the rest of us.

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TnMountains said:
TnMtns
I agree 100% TnMtns!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Rorschach, your question is like asking someone: "what is the best motor vehicle for your money?". The followup answer would be: "I dunno. What do you intend to do with it? Haul rock and dirt? Perhaps you should consider a bob-tail truck. Haul kids to and from soccer practice? Perhaps you should consider a mini-van. Go from 0 to 60 super fast? Perhaps you should consider a corvette. Pull stumps out of the ground? Perhaps you should consider a real low-geared truck. Get super gas mileage? Perhaps you should consider a mini-cooper." Etc... etc... etc..... You gotta be more specific. You wanna be able to go for nuggets? Or just coins/relics? Are you concerned about TID accuracy, or just want balls to the walls depth, and intend to dig-all no matter anyhow? How mineralized is the soil where you're at? You want to excell at low conductors or high conductors? Might you run into really iron-ridden sites, or do you just want a power-house depth demon (that tend to mask more), etc.. etc... etc....

For example, in each of the cases of recommendations so far (the ace 250 for example), I can think of locations where you'd get your b*tt kicked by other machines you could buy for "less than $1000" as you say. But perhaps the ace 250 (as an example) would kick another machine's b*tt in certain other environments.

Drudge

Nov 19, 2007
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab: eTrac, Excalibur II, Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have to say the Minelab Sovereign but unfortunately they're $100 more expensive over last years price :icon_scratch:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread