Metal fences - AT Pro stock coil

Fast Ed

Jan 31, 2013
Scotia, ny
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Garrett AT Max, Garrett Pro Pointer, Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm finding that I can't swing any closer than maybe 16 - 18" to a metal fence or I'll get false signals. At least I know enough now to stay that far away but I feel like I may be missing some good targets. Anyone else having this issue? Thinking about maybe buying a sniper coil to get closer. Any suggestions?

DEHew64

Jan 29, 2013
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gold Stinger
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too have that problem withy ATP. I also can anticipate the bell tone near the "legs" of any of the play ground slides, swings, what have you. It's irritating, I'm looking at a smaller coil but I'm hearing some things about that might have a pretty steep learning curve. We'll see I may buy a 5x8 just to check it out.

Jay In NewKen

Jun 24, 2012
New Kensington, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I too have that problem withy ATP. I also can anticipate the bell tone near the "legs" of any of the play ground slides, swings, what have you. It's irritating, I'm looking at a smaller coil but I'm hearing some things about that might have a pretty steep learning curve. We'll see I may buy a 5x8 just to check it out.

I still can't get within a foot of a chain link fence at 2 bars below max and the 5x8 coil. Lower sens to around 3,4,5 bars helps, but not ideal. Perhaps a sniper coil would work, but i can't justify that purchase with the amount of fence line i'd be hitting.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The sniper coil will get you very close to the fence or playground poles, and the 5X8 does better than the 8.5X11. You can always turn your sensitivity down some to help you get closer.

Wayne

DEHew64

Jan 29, 2013
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gold Stinger
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll turn the sensitivity down and see how that does.

On a different angle. Am I making a mistake by constantly adjusting my sensitivity? I seldom leave it in one setting if I am running into a lot of trash. Does that sound right or make sense to you?

Wayne I finally got the Pro pointer. Of all places it had to go after Houston was Champaign Ill.

OP
OP
Fast Ed

Fast Ed

Jan 31, 2013
Scotia, ny
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Garrett AT Max, Garrett Pro Pointer, Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The sniper coil will get you very close to the fence or playground poles, and the 5X8 does better than the 8.5X11. You can always turn your sensitivity down some to help you get closer.

Wayne
Thanks Wayne, I'll try dialing down the sensitivity......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread