Metal in dirt at very old homestead?

E59

Feb 28, 2005
On the river bank
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I finally took my 250 to a very old homestead site. I was really intrigued because my father-in-law said that the woman used to run with Jesse James. I'm going to pump him for more info because he's super interested in detecting there. Anyhoo, we took turns swinging and had a tough time of it. When I used this machine at the ocean it didn't give me false leads and go crazy over active. Out in the country it was misbehaving or there is metal in that soil. I REALLY wanted to show my father-in-law some coinage but it was impossibe. Do the detectors pick up minerals in soil? It was going off constantly and we could not find much. One square nail and one other metal piece. The house has been gone for maybe 50 years and he said it was lived in for over a hundred. There is still large amount of flagstone and pottery but it has been rooted by hogs for over 30 years. Any advise? I'm still a novice. I'm really thinking about investing in a serious machine.

possumheaded

Sep 25, 2006
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500 & Ace 250, White's DFX, Minelab Explorer XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello!! I have had that happen as well. One time it was because it needed fresh batteries but the other times have been when my sensitivity setting was to high. I found in different soils if I adjust the sensitivity(usually cutting it down some) it takes care of the the false signals. I don't know if it will help you out but I thought I'd let you know what works for me.
Good Luck,
Ed

IndianaSmith

Jul 21, 2007
Sara77 said:
I was really intrigued because my father-in-law said that the woman used to run with Jesse James.

Was her name Sandra Bullock?? :P

As mentioned, lower your sensitivity, I've had to do it as well. I seldom hunt with over 4 bars.

Smitty

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The eentry level ACE 250 does not have a Ground Balance control so the minerals in the ground will affect it's operation. Then too if you were using the stock coil it could have had a lot of targets under it at one time. Under ground power cables, micro wave transmissions or radio's and cell phones can affect it too. One lake I can't hunt with anything but a Tiger Shark because the police post near by. You get closer to the station and noises pick up even with sens. turned down.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
drop the sens. to half /2 bars i beleive
run in all metal
ignore a/all signal/s that pops high then drops to iron
dig all shallow 2-4 inch targets in a grid (use a 25-30 foot length of string and 2 golf tees)
dig foil/tab all the way up the scale
then after you get to the end turn around
walk the other side of the string as above
then when done
turn up the sens a little then go to coin mode and repeat as above
go slow pinpoint best you can and use a shovel
if the pinpoint hops around its a nail

OP
OP
E59

E59

Feb 28, 2005
On the river bank
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks everyone, I plan on going back sometime soon. I want to check into this Jesse James stuff and think about buying a better detector first. I did get a couple nice tones when I had the sensitivity set on 3 bars. When it was going nuts I had the sensitivity on high.

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Do you have the name of the woman? I am working on a book about Jesse James right now so I am very interested in this piece of info. Thanks
Christy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread