METAL IN QUARTZ ?

605dano

Nov 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I cracked this quartz rock open that I found on the edge of quartzite vein and seen these seemingly metal inclusions inside. The other out of focus crystal is also on it. I don't really want to pick them out, but to ID will probably have to. Iron, Silver,Electrum? Any ideas?

Attachments

• gold and rocks 6-7-14 005.JPG
    gold and rocks 6-7-14 005.JPG
    369.2 KB · Views: 574
  • gold and rocks 6-7-14 014.JPG
    gold and rocks 6-7-14 014.JPG
    436.1 KB · Views: 375
  • gold and rocks 6-7-14 019.JPG
    gold and rocks 6-7-14 019.JPG
    324.6 KB · Views: 374
  • gold and rocks 6-7-14 025.JPG
    gold and rocks 6-7-14 025.JPG
    334.1 KB · Views: 609

Bajahunter

Mar 26, 2011
Yes, it looks like it is some kind of ore.
Not possible to tell based on your pics.
Could be lots of things. Where did you find it? What kinds of mines are in the area?

Upvote 0
OP
OP

605dano

Nov 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
found it in a hydrothermal [I believe] vein system. There are at least 8 old gold mines within a 1/2 mile. I am trying to understand the geology and hopefully find something of value. I need to remove one of the pieces and see if it crushes or is malleable. I have seen these before in the rock and was wondering if anyone else has seen anything like these.

Upvote 0

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
found it in a hydrothermal [I believe] vein system. There are at least 8 old gold mines within a 1/2 mile. I am trying to understand the geology and hopefully find something of value. I need to remove one of the pieces and see if it crushes or is malleable. I have seen these before in the rock and was wondering if anyone else has seen anything like these.

No value in that rock, sorry. I find it in the northern part of GA where I live. Its the normal river rock that falls out of the bank.

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With a number of gold mines in the area your in a good spot to look around for possible leads to gold bearing specimens. As to what your showing its mineralized quartz. It'll be mostly iron in the minerals that your looking at~ decayed pyrites, magnetite *the black crystal looking stuff*. The more rounded purplish bits may be sulfides, decomposed, of other materials. Its hard to be sure.

On the main picture of the specimen you can see a distinct difference in the two types of material~ the left the quartz vein and its mineral compounds and the right side appears to be quartzite. The quartzite appears to be semi porous~ note the iron compounds have leached into the stone. This side of the rock~ quartzite~ is what would be considered the host rock and barren, for most intents, of any valuable minerals. The quartz side is the hydrothermal event your looking for. The boundary layer between the quartz and the host rock is where miners look for concentrations of valuable minerals. Note the degree of iron coloration at this boundary.
The quartz itself can have valuable minerals itself depending on how the solution carrying the minerals deposited. In most cases as the solution leaves its deposits heavier minerals and metals tend to be force out along the boundary layer(s) between forming quartz crystal structures and along the contact zone with the host rock.

There are a lot of good books on mining and many describe in better detail how these events occur and what to look for. As to your specimen its upto you if you want to try crushing and panning it to see if there are values in it. It might help if you talk to the owners of the local mines~ just don't tell them exactly where you got your specimen for now~ and they may prove helpful for information. Most minerals require some special treatment in separating valuable minerals from samples like your showing; ie roasting or chemical conversion; but the simplest method is crushing and panning.

Luck with it. Keep an eye out for crystals.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread