Metal Ingot

villival

Mar 18, 2013
Southern Louisiana
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (Ophelia), Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
Other
Found a metal ingot that looks exactly like Fireball's find as posted in this forum, without the coin stamp. It is the exact same color and weighs about a pound. One end was "chopped" off. Found it yesterday after working a shift at my second job. Won't say where, but it has been the find of my nicest things. Where I scratched it, it is a bright, bright silver also. I guess I'll take it in, but I will surely be going back there after work today. I had been over that spot a million times, but it had rained and I decided to take a chance. It could be lead, but it is the spitting image of Fireball's ingot.

Upvote 1
OP
OP
villival

villival

Mar 18, 2013
Southern Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I have been looking over the other posts on silver ingots, as well as the UK's government site on treasures and specifically, silver ingots, because the man at the "we buy gold" place told me he did not know what my bar was made of. That said, he did not believe it was lead. After reading some of the posts, I realize it may just contain silver, as I watched him test the bar and it turned a dark reddish brown. The bar's patina and color does look very much like many of the "silver" ingot bars on the UK website. I also noticed that for some reason, folks on this site are really sceptical and I just cannot understand why. Is it because I am from the south or because I am just an honest person that I don't understand the point of making up stories and the skepticism of this forum? Why would people go to a lot of trouble to make up stories about what they found? I am really confused about that part of this forum. I am going to somehow take a photo and post it just to prove I did find what I found, but I do not have a camera, an iphone or internet at home, which makes it a pain in the neck. I also realize none of you can reasonably comment on what finds are if there are no photos. Too, I am sure my "huge Indian find" made you all doubt that I found the ingot. However, your quick to jump on my mistakes posts made me double and triple check before I posted I found the bar. I also have live in an "older" town and work part time at an old plantation/restaurant and have had exclusive access (I am the only person to have ever asked if I could metal detect the grounds) to the grounds, which are also on a river and so perhaps I am finding more than the average person. I am so currently hooked on metal detecting (due to some really cool finds) that I literally do it during lunch and after work almost every single day, which is wreaking havoc on my errand running and therefore my quickness in finding out the true content of the ingot and going to the trouble of posting a photo.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been looking over the other posts on silver ingots, as well as the UK's government site on treasures and specifically, silver ingots, because the man at the "we buy gold" place told me he did not know what my bar was made of. That said, he did not believe it was lead. After reading some of the posts, I realize it may just contain silver, as I watched him test the bar and it turned a dark reddish brown. The bar's patina and color does look very much like many of the "silver" ingot bars on the UK website. I also noticed that for some reason, folks on this site are really sceptical and I just cannot understand why. Is it because I am from the south or because I am just an honest person that I don't understand the point of making up stories and the skepticism of this forum? Why would people go to a lot of trouble to make up stories about what they found? I am really confused about that part of this forum. I am going to somehow take a photo and post it just to prove I did find what I found, but I do not have a camera, an iphone or internet at home, which makes it a pain in the neck. I also realize none of you can reasonably comment on what finds are if there are no photos. Too, I am sure my "huge Indian find" made you all doubt that I found the ingot. However, your quick to jump on my mistakes posts made me double and triple check before I posted I found the bar. I also have live in an "older" town and work part time at an old plantation/restaurant and have had exclusive access (I am the only person to have ever asked if I could metal detect the grounds) to the grounds, which are also on a river and so perhaps I am finding more than the average person. I am so currently hooked on metal detecting (due to some really cool finds) that I literally do it during lunch and after work almost every single day, which is wreaking havoc on my errand running and therefore my quickness in finding out the true content of the ingot and going to the trouble of posting a photo.
Very cool...>Do you have any pics?

mical66

Jul 17, 2012
Greeneville , TN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
villival,
dont let it get you down,yes alot of people on here are skeptical but most have good reason to be due to years of MD and a silver bar is a rare find.. i bet when you post pictures and get proof it is silver the skeptics will be the fist to congradulate you .
keep on digging and enjoy your self :)

OP
OP
villival

villival

Mar 18, 2013
Southern Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks yall. I went at lunch, hoping to find more and I did find another piece of it; looks like part of a broken off piece, whereas the bar itself looks like someone just chopped a straight cut off the edge. I believe I am finding these now in spots I had already checked, is that I have a really cheap detector and when I first started, I didnt know what the heck I was doing and though I am still fairly new, I have logged so many hours at this point, that I can kind of tell what's what. I also noticed that when my batteries are fresh, it works better, so I have spent a small fortune on them. In addition, I notice when it rains and try to go then also, as I read the detectors read better when wet. At any rate, the piece found at lunch is as big as a small rock, non magentice, not non metallic, same color as the other. I am going to keep going back as I believe the metal ingot, piece, old coin (not seal) and other things to come probably came from the fact that the river floods all the way up to the house in certain times of the year and I am sure carries all kinds of world wide and otherwise unrelated items to that area. The river connects to a big lake here, which connects the the Gulf, which has had people from all over the world for all it's history.

Thanks for the kind responses. As soon as I find out what the metal is for sure, I will let ya'll know and post photos.

OP
OP
villival

villival

Mar 18, 2013
Southern Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Better late than never. Seven years later I finally purchased a metal testing kit. The bar is testing at .500 silver. Go figure. I don't know what the other metal is yet. At some point I will figure out how to post photos from my 50.00, non smart phone.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread