Metal Iroquois Armor and Pendant???

Wampum

Jun 13, 2011
Tioga County PA.
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found this on an Iroquois site which dates from the 1620's to 1640's. I believe it is a piece of a breastplate. Look at the pieces, they are "woven" together (top right). Most likely out of a worn out trade kettle. I will post a pic of the back side as well. There are holes cut into each piece where a smaller piece would fit in and was then hammered down to bend them together and make it strong. The metal was most likely scored by a piece of flint and then bent until it broke into the right shape. There are 6 pieces of metal put together. This is definately old and it was definately not mass produced. I just wonder what it is.

I was also wondering if you think that the piece with the two holes in it is a pendant. The holes are two different sizes and were most likely made by the Native Americans since if they were mass produced then they would be the same size and not quite as oval/not round shaped as they are.

2011-06-13_17-12-18_116.jpg

I have also found a bunch of metal points at this site including rolled points, typical triangle ones, a perforated point, and an iron trade point. I have also found a bunch of trade beads, pottery, and flint arrowheads. Last time out I found a trade knife blade with a groove on each side and an iron trade needle and another silver colored (silver? pewter?)hawk bell. Take note of the point on the bottom, 2nd from the left. It has a bit of a barb on it, for fishing maybe?

This picture is from my first day out with my new Garrett GTI 1500. I never really metal detected before. The second time out I pulled a 1600's copper coin which I can't identify. Not bad for a noob.

Upvote 0

NorCal Gal

Jan 15, 2011
Northern California
Interesting how the Natives reworked other cast-off type materials into things they needed and used. Around here in Northern California, you find a lot of points and scrapers made from old porcelain and china dishes 'n stuff. There was a ship that sank of the Marin County coast (I believe) back in the 1700s that was full of dinnerware and bits and pieces washed up on the beaches up and down Mendocino, Sonoma and Marin Counties for many, many years. The natives simply collected the pieces and made points and beads out of them! :laughing7:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a trade goods area on this site and a couple knowledgeable guys from Canada. They might be able to help. :thumbsup:
Nice finds and some early america metal detector finds :thumbsup:

OP
OP
W

Wampum

Jun 13, 2011
Tioga County PA.
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I put up a picture of what I found over this last weekend at that same site. It is posted in the fur trade area. I will get some better pics and put them up sometime today of all of my detector finds from the last couple weekends.

scepter1

May 17, 2011
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Those are really great finds !

I have two sets of great . . . . grandparents (Wilbore's and Van Etten's) that came to the new world in 1630 & 1633. Cool to imagine that their 'artifacts' may still be out there to be found !

Rich.

MarkDz

Oct 1, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver UMax
Awesome finds. :icon_thumleft: I think the "contact period" stuff is often the most interesting of all. Ancient stone artifacts are great but usually only show little developments over thousands of years... this sort of thing shows radical developments over decades!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread