metal points

oldgoat

Oct 21, 2008
Hi folks, Ive been collecting points for quite awhile now and have a nice collection of tools and stone points. What I don't have are any metal points from the Indian Wars. Does any one have any from those times or are they a figment of my imagination? I would buy some if thats the only way to get them, would like the story behind them tho.....goat

Upvote 0

docmann

Jan 2, 2009
OKLAHOMA!
Detector(s) used
Rarely!
Goat and KP,
Like I said, I wish I could tell you I found this one, but actually bought it from a collector. It was in a collection from South Dakota. It is found on or near the Pine Ridge Reservation. It's 7 1/2" long. The point is heavily corroded, but I wouldn't dare attempt to buff or sand it.
However, reading between the lines, I think I have something that might intererst both of you. If I'm hearing you, it sounds like you might be interested in seeing an intact arrow. Indeed, they do exist. I have two arrows from the desert Southwest. They were in the collection of one of my patients who collected art. Both arrows are right at 24" (61 cm). These ended up in his collection about 40 years ago, and he never got around to displaying them. He became quite ill a few years ago, and presented both arrows to me as a gift, along with a clay vessel. Pictured below is one of the arrows. These are not metal points, but they have been verified by an archaeologist from the University of Oklahoma. He suggested that they were probably closer to 200 years old, and originated somewhere in the desert Southwest. This was also told to me by the previous owner, as he acquired them at auction in the Four-Corners area. The display case has them straightened out, but actually the shafts are bowed terribly when not affixed to the case backing. The points are snug and very much intact. The weakest feature of both arrows seems to be the fletching. The feathers, as you can see, are fragile and not well attached. The other piece is stored securely in my office.
These are probably my most prized possessions of anthropological interest. Their story is important to me not just for the beauty and history of the pieces, but partly because of the gracious manner in which they were given to me.
I hope I didn't go too far beyond the scope of your subject in posting these, but I had a feeling both of you gentlemen might like seeing an intact, authentic arrow of 150 to 200 years ago.

Attachments

• MetalPoint1.GIF
    MetalPoint1.GIF
    91 KB · Views: 369
  • MetalPoint2.GIF
    MetalPoint2.GIF
    82.5 KB · Views: 381
  • ArrowIntact1.GIF
    ArrowIntact1.GIF
    109.2 KB · Views: 354
  • IntactPoint1.GIF
    IntactPoint1.GIF
    102.4 KB · Views: 378
  • ArrowFletch.GIF
    ArrowFletch.GIF
    89.9 KB · Views: 353

docmann

Jan 2, 2009
OKLAHOMA!
Detector(s) used
Rarely!
One more photo which might offer a better overall view.

Doc

Attachments

• Narrowview.GIF
    Narrowview.GIF
    7.1 KB · Views: 501

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
docman
my sister lives on the pine ridge res
it is an historic place
the way of life there is very rough and very tough
a fierce place
larson1951

OP
OP
oldgoat

oldgoat

Oct 21, 2008
Very nice Doc, and that is some of what I was talking about. It is always nice to see other folks collections...and drool, lol....goat

Tammy A.

May 22, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have steel points

Hi folks, Ive been collecting points for quite awhile now and have a nice collection of tools and stone points. What I don't have are any metal points from the Indian Wars. Does any one have any from those times or are they a figment of my imagination? I would buy some if thats the only way to get them, would like the story behind them tho.....goat

Sir, I have two steel points. Do not know, ( or think) they are from the Indian Wars. They were found in a cave in the Rocky Mountains in the 1960's by my father. What we learned was that the Ute's would trade furs and such to others ( Spanish) for these points. I would be willing to sell one of them. I have no idea what a fair price is but am trying to find out. If you would like more information on these please feel free to contact me at [email protected]. Thank you, Tammy A.

11KBP

Oct 7, 2008
Central Great Plains
Sir, I have two steel points. Do not know, ( or think) they are from the Indian Wars. They were found in a cave in the Rocky Mountains in the 1960's by my father. What we learned was that the Ute's would trade furs and such to others ( Spanish) for these points. I would be willing to sell one of them. I have no idea what a fair price is but am trying to find out. If you would like more information on these please feel free to contact me at [email protected]. Thank you, Tammy A.

Would love to see a picture of your father's cave finds.

intensecrasher

Apr 6, 2014
California
Detector(s) used
Ground-penetrating radar...LOL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here is an authentic brass or copper point that I posted earlier on TN. Found by me and most likely from late 1700s - early 1800s.

P5180005.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread