Metal Trading Arrowhead

PMOP

Jul 7, 2011
After having no luck in the "What is it" thread, somebody suggested I try this one.

The story about this arrowhead is that it was found in a cave somewhere in southern Virginia. The metal point is about 2 inches long. The point's owner believes it is a British trade arrowhead. Possible??

Attachments

• metal_trading_arrowhead.jpg
    metal_trading_arrowhead.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 583
  • metal_trading_arrowhead.jpg
    metal_trading_arrowhead.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 452
Upvote 0

Wampum

Jun 13, 2011
Tioga County PA.
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is a pretty cool piece but I do not think it is a british trade arrowhead. My rationale is that they would likely make it either as cheaply and quickly as they could mass produce or use a pattern which they were familiar with. I do not think that they would make it in that shape. It doesn't really look like any trade arrowheads that I had seen. Maybe some sort of amulet/medallion etc.

I would think a British trade arrowhead would look like a bodkin or just a regular triangle.

Just my .02

OP
OP
P

PMOP

Jul 7, 2011
The shape does seem rather exotic for a trade arrowhead. But . . . the owner claims that he took the object to the Smithsonian several years ago (?40?) and an expert dusted off an old book with lithographs of an engraving of a British colonial scene which showed a small cask with sawdust, oil, and similar spearpoints spilling out. He couldnt remember if it was a dock or the deck of a ship. Thanks for the insights, Doug

Brian C.

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Whites and Garrett. I use several machines, the ace 350 is a nice machine. I have a 5900, 6000, whites.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I just wonder since it was found in a cave, it might be for climbing rocks, just quessing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread