4dd3

May 2, 2016
Sweden
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Prepare for a long post about metal detecting laws in Sweden and how the new law killed the hobby

It really breaks my heart to write this. But I really want the rest of the world to know where this hobby is going in Sweden.

Just let that bizarre and absurd title of this post sink in. Metaldetecting as a hobby is now, as of january 1st 2018, dead in Sweden. But what do I mean by that? Well, let me first of all tell you a little bit of myself and how I got into this hobby:

Who am I and what does this hobby mean to me?

My name is Andreas and I got into this hobby while, back in 2013, browsing youtube videos of people from all over the world showing their finds and adventures with their metal detectors. I previously didn't know of any detectorists in my province, or the entirety of Sweden, but I did get in contact with a few from youtube and facebook groups. I bought a Garrett ACE 250 from ebay and after finding my first coin (an Oscar II 5 öre from 1898) I was hooked. It is, and still is quite a lonely hobby in Sweden (but these days I usually go out detecting with a friend). Five years ago there was maybe just a couple of hundred people actively pursuing this hobby in the entire country. Nowadays we might be 8-900, but I'm not sure of that figure. Most people outside the hobby didn't even know that this was a thing. I once had an experience where some old lady though I was walking by with a grass trimmer. Considering all the funny looks I got while swinging my machine by woods or beaches I was just as excited each time an old coin or relic popped up. It also expanded my interest in swedish and local history aswell as it got me into studying swedish and history teacher for upper secondary school (I graduate 2020).

But how does metal detecting lawfully in Sweden work?
Sweden, as viewed by a lot of countries, a symbol of democracy and welfare, is becoming more and more bureaucratic. To the metaldetecting hobby this means that you have to apply for a permit to your "local government" or Länsstyrelse for each and every place (even your own backyard) you want to hunt on. The Länsstyrelse is Swedens equivalent to County administrative boards.
To apply for a permit you have to fill in a form which states your name, adress, that you have the landowners permission etc etc etc. Then you happily mail this form to your Länsstyrelse. And wait. And wait. And......wait. In the Länsstyrelse of Värmland I actually had to wait 12 months to get my permit. To hunt a beach. For just three months (that's the time they gave me). Your permit is a piece of paper which consists of a signature from the antiquarian and a map of the place of the permit. You are required to show this to the police or a member of the Länsstyrelse (if they sneak up to you while detecting in the middle of the woods). If one metal detects without a permit they risk confiscation of equipment, fines or/and up to four years of prison.

And from 2013-2017 the biggest problem of this hobby in Sweden was the waiting game. The county administrative boards got an increasing number of applications every year (sometimes an increase of 200%, 2016 I believe). Another problem, which I personally adressed to the antiquarian, was that I had to wait for a permission for 6-8 months that my friend already had. They could literally just copy his permission and put my name on it. But I always had to wait, in average, 6-8 months for a permission.

The new proposal of 2016 from the RAĂ„ (Swedish national heritage board)
With an increasing number of happy detectorists applying lawfully for permissions to all of Swedens Länsstyrelses did cause a problem for these county administrative boards. They were overwhelmed. Because of this problem and lack of resources to handle all these permissions, the Swedish national heritage board decided to give the government a proposition. To introduce a fee or cost for application of permissions. This cost was suggested to be 700 swedish crowns (85 UNITED STATES DOLLARS for each single application. By introducing this law they wanted to stop the flow of applications to the county administrative boards. The law passed and as of january 1st 2018 each application costs 85 dollars. This doesn't mean that if you pay 85 USD you get a permission. It means that you pay 85 USD for an application but they can still shut it down and make you pay.

Swedens only official metal detectorist club (Sveriges Metallsökarförening) really had NOTHING to say about this law. The organization really tried to lift and discuss the problems with this proposition but was ignored by the national heritage board, the culture minister and the swedish government.

This ultimately killed the hobby and it affects, not just detectorists, but all of the swedish people. Detectorists will stop applying for permissions and as Ulf Ă–rnell (board member of the swedish detectorist club) said: "Finds of historical value will now end up in peoples drawers at home instead of in museums". This, means Ă–rnell, since you can no longer report your finds if you don't pay the 85 USD in beforehand. Thus, it negatively affects the opportunity of working together with hobbyists as resources at both previously known and unknown archeological sites of Sweden.

The new law also makes this hobby into a question of class. People like me (students) or people in general that can't cash in 85+ USD for applications have to either quit the hobby or just go "under ground". It doesn't matter what you chose to do - it still is BAD for the hobby and the historical knowledge and heritage of Sweden. I currently have 16 permissions which soon/or already have expired. If I'd like to extend these - I'd have to pay 85 X 16 = 1360 USD..

Interview with Ulf Ă–rnell in the radio of Sweden
Avgift kan göra att forntida fynd inte rapporteras - P4 Blekinge | Sveriges Radio

Information about the new law: (in Swedish)
Metallsökare - Länsstyrelsen i Örebro län

Too long, didn't read
To metal detect lawfully in Sweden you now, as of january 1st 2018, have to pay 85 USD for each application of a permit. This doesn't mean you get the permission, but that you can apply for one. You could be forced to pay 85 USD but still not get a permission if the administrative boards decides that the location could contain items of historical or/and archeological value.

Since this is a forum after all, I think this post should add something to discuss
How does metal detecting work in your country? What would you do in a similar situation? (go hunt or quit the hobby) Have you ever had bad experiences with officials? What does the people of your country and the government think about the hobby?

Last edited:

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So very sorry to hear that. You could always go on vacation outside of Sweden and make it a party.

Again so sorry to hear that.

8D48E9B0-CD86-409C-9DA6-12DE2DD7C087.gif

If I was a betting man..which of course I am not ...

I would say that Tom_from_CA will not be able to keep away from posting on this thread.

ltd063

Sep 28, 2016
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 & Excal II, Tesoro SandShark, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am sorry for your pain. It is too bad that the government is killing the hobby because it caused them to have to do work.

OP
OP

4dd3

May 2, 2016
Sweden
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm surprised they didn't disarm you guys before changing your country so much. Many unhappy people I bet......

Yeah, Well, they pretty much did :( 100 % of the detectorists are unhappy with this ...

OP
OP

4dd3

May 2, 2016
Sweden
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am sorry for your pain. It is too bad that the government is killing the hobby because it caused them to have to do work.

Yeah. That is the exact reason, though. It made them and the administrative boards to do work. I guess they rather have artifacts rotting or getting destroyed by the plow aswell as ending up in peoples drawers forever than actually seeing use for us.

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
You are providing this information to us for only one of two reasons. You wish to vent and inform, or you are asking for help.

If you are asking for help, then be prepared for a lecture because that's what I will provide.

First, I know nothing of the laws of Sweden, however, I am sure you do. Having said that, you have to do what we Americans call, "fight the system". I know this is a lot of work, but if you want the freedom to detect, you have to work/fight for it.

Strength in numbers: Get together as many like minded Swedes as you can. A collective has exponentially more strength than the individual.

Get organized: Have your goals clearly listed. Have plenty of documentation. Have a secretary to catalog. Have a treasurer. Have the most respected and creditable person elected as the speaker. When you have everything prepared, then you are ready to go to the next step.

Get some real legal help:
By pooling resources, you should seek out a barrister/lawyer. You need to have some sort of creditable legal council.

Get some city/town officials:
Having those in the community that are well respected and have political motives on your side can be huge. Influence is what makes law. Having connections can help you achieve your goals.

Voting: I don't know if there is voting for the law makers, however, if there are, you can make a campaign. Not a "who to vote for" but a "who we aren't voting for" one. Trust me, when they see their name and all these people that AREN'T voting for them, they will be more receptive.

Or you can wait for someone else to do the work.

OP
OP

4dd3

May 2, 2016
Sweden
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You are providing this information to us for only one of two reasons. You wish to vent and inform, or you are asking for help.

If you are asking for help, then be prepared for a lecture because that's what I will provide.

First, I know nothing of the laws of Sweden, however, I am sure you do. Having said that, you have to do what we Americans call, "fight the system". I know this is a lot of work, but if you want the freedom to detect, you have to work/fight for it.

Strength in numbers: Get together as many like minded Swedes as you can. A collective has exponentially more strength than the individual.

Get organized: Have your goals clearly listed. Have plenty of documentation. Have a secretary to catalog. Have a treasurer. Have the most respected and creditable person elected as the speaker. When you have everything prepared, then you are ready to go to the next step.

Get some real legal help:
By pooling resources, you should seek out a barrister/lawyer. You need to have some sort of creditable legal council.

Get some city/town officials:
Having those in the community that are well respected and have political motives on your side can be huge. Influence is what makes law. Having connections can help you achieve your goals.

Voting: I don't know if there is voting for the law makers, however, if there are, you can make a campaign. Not a "who to vote for" but a "who we aren't voting for" one. Trust me, when they see their name and all these people that AREN'T voting for them, they will be more receptive.

Or you can wait for someone else to do the work.

Hey, thanks for your reply. Swedish detectorists did organize and they did get into a meeting with the national heritage board which ABSOLUTELY IGNORED us hobbyists. We are too few to have any say at all in this. We are just a few hundreds in Sweden (which has a pop of 10 mil) I believe the club actually do have a lawyer, but there seems to be pretty much nothing to do in terms of legal action... The people of the administrative boards welcome this law with open hands - since they have to do less and less work (as one stated in the swedish interview, which I do understand if you are unable to hear and understand it). It has been forbidden to detect in Sweden without a permit since the early years of the 90s. Unfortunately no politicians really care about this law. (With a risk of getting too political) they (the parties) are all pretty much thinking the same thing in these questions about historical heritage. As stated previously in my first post, most people in Sweden don't even know this hobby exists.

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
4dd3, sorry to hear of your plight. Your post was very well written. Although it's "too little too late" to do anything about it now, But some questions about the background :

a) you've only been into the hobby since 2013, and

b) there were a few hundred hobbyist by that time in 2013, and

c) since it had a "permit" system already in place at that time in 2013, then...

d) Do you know what precipitated that ? Ie.: have you ever talked to old-timers to see WHY THERE WAS EVEN A "PERMIT" dreamed up in the first place ? What put md'ing on the govt's or archies plate in the first place, to dream that up ?

The reason I ask is: Obviously this "constant presence" on their bureaucratic plate, is what eventually brought about the current dilemma. It's only a matter of time before someone thinks "Gee do we really want all these yahoos digging up our past ?" and "Gee, this costs us time to process these". Hence much better if it were silent on the subject. Yes I realize this isn't helping you any now. It's too little too late. But this should serve as a reminder for other md'rs and other countries to NOT make themselves a giant bullseye :(

Goes to show that the LESS they think of us, the better. Some people think of "permits" as good. As a sort of carte-blanche ability. Happy to have in the pocket so you can whip out to show people, eh ? But as your post shows: It always only ever leads to silly rules. And/or eventual abolishments.

.... you can make a campaign. ....

... the national heritage board which ABSOLUTELY IGNORED us hobbyists. We are too few to have any say at all in this.....

I agree with you 4dd3 : The more you gripe (as md'rs here are trigger happy to advocate) THE MORE RULES AGAINST YOU IT WILL CREATE. In fact, I'll bet that even has something to do with the reason why the current situation exists. And you're right: Any griping or clarification or petitioning you do, will have to cross the desk of Govt. archies. And ...we all know they hate md'rs. You are simply not going to win.

I'll bet that in the entire country of Sweden there's only a handful of purist govt. archies. (yet 100's and 100's of md'rs) The odds of those few archies ever happen-chancing on to an md'r is very slim. So the worst thing you can do, is to make yourselves an even bigger bullseye for them to "think about". But yes, I agree, it's too late now and this is "too little too late".

If I were in Sweden, I can tell you what I'd be doing right now. I'll leave that to your imagination.

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, all I can say is, God Bless America! :skullflag:

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What Terry Soloman said!

913BD04E-B180-4D52-851D-F74137E42870.jpeg

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I’d spend the money, that they require for permits, on killer vacations each year. Research some great beach spots in other countries. Depending on the finds you may be able to help finance those vacations.
Best of luck!

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Problem is you just cant all of a sudden say "I'm an archaeologist" A friend of mines uncle was one,his house was full of stuff.Basically legalized theft.Wheres the honor in that.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I was just suggesting he check into what he may be able to do in Sweden.
It doesnt matter where you are,you cant just say "I'm an archaeologist" and start digging.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
School,School and more school.Not to mention money for school.Being just a digger for an archy,you get to keep nothing.Archys arent even suppose to keep anything,but they do.Thats why i call it theft with a permit.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry to hear this. My only hope is maybe, just maybe they will change their minds and something will be reformed so you can enjoy your passion again. Good luck!

3cylbill

Jul 2, 2015
s.tier NY
Detector(s) used
TESORO, MINELAB, WHITES , GARRETT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Sweeden...I use my saab to go metal detecting and put all my finds in and use it to bing my finds home .sweeden making laws to cover every aspect of humanity.next they will require a permit to grow a garden or tell you what to grow... what next....?

Last edited by a moderator:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread