Metalic Rocks

Brit888

Jan 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If while metal detecting you find pebbles small and fist size which give you false signals while detecting for coins on beach, is there a chance that these metalic pebbles/hot rocks contain any gold if it is known there was gold near by?

Suppose what I am asking would it be worth while collecting these pebbles up and humping them back home and crushing them etc or would the rewards be extremely hard worked?

I know its an open question but there must be someone who has experience of this.

Upvote 0

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I will give you an opinion and probably sound like a lawyer: it depends.

If the rocks are dark brown, hard and tend to be large, then you are probably just looking at hot rocks. Kick them aside and keep going. However, take a look to see if they are unusual and decide what to keep for further inspection. A couple of examples come to mind: Rocks with quartz or soft (encrusted) "stones". The quartz is easy to see. I have also found what looked like a piece of coral or a ball of sand in the ocean that contained an old heavily oxidized silver coin or chain.

OP
OP
B

Brit888

Jan 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for this.

Because they are all wet (on beach) they are black or darkblue/black except the odd dark red granite type but i have often wondered about detecting for gold as a river runs across the beach and thats where the rocks appear to mostly found.

I collected lots of quartz from different field areas and spent hours crushing and panning without even one spec of gold so didnt want to waste my time on that again. This beach is mostly black sand with a thin layer of brown sand on top and only the Garrett sea hunter will work on it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread