Metallic slag

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
I keep finding chunks of melted metallic slag. Most of them are non-ferrous. Appears to be different metals: aluminum, tin/lead mix, possibly zinc, and one that has yet to be IDd. I posted some of these before along with various Today’s Find posts.
The one below the measuring tape is from today. The reason I posted this (not real exciting Topic) is to see if others find a lot of these. I’m guessing there was a forge on this farm 75-100 years ago. I’m probably the only one crazy enough to save them! 😊

Attachments

• 8627C146-2E91-42EF-82E2-30423B054574.jpeg
    8627C146-2E91-42EF-82E2-30423B054574.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 12

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Could be that a building burnt, or a burn pit, stuff thrown in the stove/fireplace.
Get a cheap test kit as there will be a melted silver utensil, or coins.

OP
OP
Blackfoot58

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
Could be that a building burnt, or a burn pit, stuff thrown in the stove/fireplace.
Get a cheap test kit as there will be a melted silver utensil, or coins.
I wondered if someone burned the old buildings and ‘dozed the remains. Thanks👍🏼

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I wondered if someone burned the old buildings and ‘dozed the remains. Thanks👍🏼
Just about every farm permission is the old is razed and buried in the field. Some get the fire dept. to do their practice fires for awhile then they burnt them. Not sure if that happens down your way but I hear it all the time, old this or that and we just buried it. Basically it's just a huge Hügelkultur of sorts.

cajundetector

Mar 4, 2023
I keep finding chunks of melted metallic slag. Most of them are non-ferrous. Appears to be different metals: aluminum, tin/lead mix, possibly zinc, and one that has yet to be IDd. I posted some of these before along with various Today’s Find posts.
The one below the measuring tape is from today. The reason I posted this (not real exciting Topic) is to see if others find a lot of these. I’m guessing there was a forge on this farm 75-100 years ago. I’m probably the only one crazy enough to save them! 😊
I find it all over this old homesite that I frequent. I found some brass knuckles that seemed to be made out of the same material, seemed like aluminum. Gave brass knuckles back to landowner.

OP
OP
Blackfoot58

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
I find it all over this old homesite that I frequent. I found some brass knuckles that seemed to be made out of the same material, seemed like aluminum. Gave brass knuckles back to landowner.
Possibly the knuckles belonged to a “motivational speaker”!

CarolynPhelps

May 24, 2023
It seems like you have been finding chunks of melted metallic slag, most of which are non-ferrous and composed of different metals such as aluminum, tin/lead mix, possibly zinc, and an unidentified metal. Based on your findings, you speculate that there may have been a forge on the farm you are currently exploring about 75-100 years ago

OP
OP
Blackfoot58

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
It seems like you have been finding chunks of melted metallic slag, most of which are non-ferrous and composed of different metals such as aluminum, tin/lead mix, possibly zinc, and an unidentified metal. Based on your findings, you speculate that there may have been a forge on the farm you are currently exploring about 75-100 years ago
Thanks for clearing that up! 😂

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread