Meteorite expert help please

Nano

Mar 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello. Found this in a field and initially thought it was some weird slag piece remnant. Kept it cos it was so heavy.Highly magnetic.All broken surfaces have lines on.Awesome crust. Am I wasting my time looking for a strewn field? After
years of never finding one,I am pretty convinced.Spent a lot of time looking at it. But did not even think for a second it might be a meteorite until I got it home and had a closer look.Lots of evidence of metal working there and I was actually just looking at ore type rocks. Thanks for your time.
Photo1821.jpg Photo1824.jpg Photo1823.jpg I apologize for my camera often.
But up close with a loupe there are the lines which are not picked up by my lame camera.Cheers

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Without having it analyzed no one here can tell you what you have, we can just guess. If you have a college nearby with a geology depart, see if the professor will have a look at it. Not knowing where you are, I can't even tell you if a known strewnfield is in the area.:skullflag:

OP
OP
Nano

Nano

Mar 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Terry. Only found another small piece in the undisturbed field. I typed in meteorite Scotland and saw we had meteor shower in 2016 that may or may not have passed over Kingoodie.So not much use. Cheers for your help. I will look at your finds and the info.

OP
OP
Nano

Nano

Mar 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bit of help again please

Without having it analyzed no one here can tell you what you have, we can just guess. If you have a college nearby with a geology depart, see if the professor will have a look at it. Not knowing where you are, I can't even tell you if a known strewnfield is in the area.:skullflag:
Hello,

Hoping you can help me again. The third piece I found today which is the one on the left. Would this weird shape rule these chunks out as meteorites?
That is what I thought when I found it."Ah not a meteorite!" at least I know. But then turning it over there are smooth thumbprints so that further confused me. I think this piece could probably rule it out or confirm it without needing to send it to a university. My money is on meteorwrong,so no
risk of crushing my spirit. Cheers
Photo1859.jpg

OP
OP
Nano

Nano

Mar 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Cheers Terry. My thoughts as well. Highly magnetic,thumbprints,crust,but otherwise wrong looking. Do wonder what it could be though and
why it is nowhere near as rusty as all other iron in the field. That bit doesn't make sense to me. All other iron stuff is so calloused and oxidised
in the field and this.Just a light dust of rust on broken surfaces. But like you I think not meteorite. Thanks for your time once more.Appreciated

OP
OP
Nano

Nano

Mar 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do have a cheap rock polishing set coming.Age 8+ lol. But will give a good polish of the exposed surfaces before I throw them away. Nice bunch of photos in the link.
Thanks again

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread