Meteorite Men - Anyone seen the new show Wed ?

Mayo South Elgin

Feb 5, 2007
South Elgin IL
Detector(s) used
MineLab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wednesday I saw this new show on science channel - Meteorite Men.
It was pretty cool - they collected thousands of dollars worth on one trip alone...
Of course they don't show much film of all the trips where they got skunked, probably because that doesn't make for a very exciting TV show.

But it did get me fired up about meteorites!

Hey Tim - they were using F75 detectors!
One guy broke the entire housing off and had to duct tape it back together!
It was almost reminiscent of the Red Green Show - and they were in Canada at the time.

We should set up a farm field excursion to look for meteorites!
Maybe all we'll find is "meteorwrongs" as they called the hunks of metal and 55 gal. drums they found, but it could be more fun than finding clad!

Anyone know some farmers with fields that have had visitors from outer space?

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
I missed that one! Seems to me I saw something somewhere about a guy that tows an array of coils behind an ATV and a guy who finds meteorites and sells them for tens of thousands of dollars. They may or may not be the same guy depending on how cracked my memory is. :-\

Sounds like a good show. I'll have to see if it's going to be repeated.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
You gotta remember they're all looking in the desert where the landscape has remained similar forever and a day compared to our neck of the woods. Here in glacial country, all space rocks get washed away every 40 to 100 thousand years or so.

Taking this into account, the average meteorite stalker is looking for falls from only the last 10-12 thousand years around here. Add to that the topsoil growth over that period and it becomes a bit more complicated.

If you do locate an end morraine that is accessible then the chances only go up the farther into that cut you go, since the much heavier space rock will have settled much deeper in the washout. If you do find geodes, you may well be into the deeper end of an old morraine end-point. I've only found about 4 sites around here where the circumstances come together in your favor outside of waterways. Mostly all the rest need canoe or boat access but a couple are very close to you, Mayo. One of these days I'll show you the rockhounders' sites around here.

I'm guessing there's one findable meteorite per 40-60 acres of farm field, including the vast open stretches in the FP's that are accessible. But mostly, there's hot rocks. Arghhh, mostly.

The Nippersink, Poplar, Tyler and Jelkes creeks all cut across/through end morraines as do the Kishwaukee and Pecatonica Rivers.

mikewaz

Bronze Member
May 9, 2008
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266 X Fisher F75
I saw the first one a few weeks ago but I guess that one was a few years old already. Missed the new episode but I'm gonna keep my eyes peeled for the next airing. Looks like it'd be fun to try if you had the right equipment.
Mike

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
Lowbatts said:
If you do find geodes, you may well be into the deeper end of an old morraine end-point.
Man, I'd be happy finding a geode!

I remember going to a spot on a high school field trip to Braidwood. They had huge piles of roundish rocks that you would split open with a hammer. Some would have fossilized remains inside. My Earth Science teacher let you turn them in to him for extra credit. I sure needed the credit, and my guess is that he sold them to someone else for extra cash. The good old days...

I think they built the reactor at that site and it's gone or you can't get access - or wouldn't want access for that matter!

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
Kimsdad said:
Lowbatts said:
If you do find geodes, you may well be into the deeper end of an old morraine end-point.

I remember going to a spot on a high school field trip to Braidwood. They had huge piles of roundish rocks that you would split open with a hammer. Some would have fossilized remains inside. My Earth Science teacher let you turn them in to him for extra credit. I sure needed the credit, and my guess is that he sold them to someone else for extra cash. The good old days...

I think they built the reactor at that site and it's gone or you can't get access - or wouldn't want access for that matter!

I remember collecting fossils with my class when I was younger, had to have been in 3rd grade. I'm not sure where we were, but we would look for these certain rocks and a guide would help us crack them open. Inside were the intricate, perfect fossils of ancient ferns. Absolutely beautiful. I still have a few of them, they allowed us to keep the ones we found. When I have the time I'll try to scan them for you guys (at work now). Anyway, just thought you'd like to know.

Joe

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac and Grey Ghost NDT; Garrett Pointer Pro
When I was doing research into the forests down my way, I ran across an article that a lot of meteorites had been found by a hunter down here in a certain forested area. I think it is at the edge of a moraine here.
Also, the former president of my undergraduate university used to collect meteorites. His prized specimen was one he bought that had gone through some guys roof and through the guy while he slept in bed, needless to say he didn't buy it from the person whom the meteorite passed through. Also keep in mind this collector was the same guy who planted potatoes along with flowers in his window box planters.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
p2c said:
When I was doing research into the forests down my way, I ran across an article that a lot of meteorites had been found by a hunter down here in a certain forested area. I think it is at the edge of a moraine here.
Also, the former president of my undergraduate university used to collect meteorites. His prized specimen was one he bought that had gone through some guys roof and through the guy while he slept in bed, needless to say he didn't buy it from the person whom the meteorite passed through. Also keep in mind this collector was the same guy who planted potatoes along with flowers in his window box planters.

Hey, I collect potato(e)s too, Mr. Vice President!

You oughtta see if we can get a field trip together to that spot, I'm guessing it's also got water running over bedrock nearby.

comfortablynumb

Sep 8, 2009
NW Missouri
I really enjoyed their pilot (they were hunting in Kansas) and the series is just as entertaining. I wish it was as easy as they make it look.

And where does one obtain a "rare earth magnet" that seems to suck up those space rocks like a Kirby does to dirt!!!

davebien

Feb 5, 2008
DuPage County, IL
Detector(s) used
DFX and now a new Minelab Explorer SE Pro
There was a whole bunch of meteorite pieces that fell on a southern suburb of Chicago maybe 10 yrs ago. Park Forest or such as I remember. Everyone and his brother hunted for them. Hundreds of them were found everywhere down there.

The rare earth magnets can be gotten American Science Surplus, they're online. They also have a store in Chicago and one near me in Geneva. You got to see the stuff they carry, LOL. Online is good but walking thru the store is a real trip, trust me.

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
davebien said:
There was a whole bunch of meteorite pieces that fell on a southern suburb of Chicago maybe 10 yrs ago. Park Forest or such as I remember. Everyone and his brother hunted for them. Hundreds of them were found everywhere down there.

The rare earth magnets can be gotten American Science Surplus, they're online. They also have a store in Chicago and one near me in Geneva. You got to see the stuff they carry, LOL. Online is good but walking thru the store is a real trip, trust me.

I've got a membership card to AS&S...I go there quite a bit. Where else can you buy lab coats, rubber chickens, vintage military helmets, and animal skeltons in one store? :)

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Spooky said:
Am I the only one who can't wait for television producers to latch on to something ELSE?

Something other than "Treasure" or Metal Detecting or "Meteorites???"

My point here is this. Those of us that have TRUE love for these things are already here, and will STILL be here when the fad has worn off.

And those with true love for it will find it ANYWAY. They will seek it out.

However, we now have to contend with a FLOOD of opportunists who think they are going to get rich quick, and have no real love other than the love of what they can MAKE or what they can sell it for.

The only REAL winners are manufacturers or dealers, who are all too happy to keep pushing it.

WE will still be here when THEY have gotten bored or realize they WON'T get rich quick, and we will have to deal with their legacy.
That of being too "busy" to be bothered with filling holes or asking permission.

I just pray that it blows over soon.

No, you're not alone.

See ya at American Science & Surplus soon!

BTW Joe, I was there a couple weeks ago and the clientele is every bit eclectic as the merchandise. There were overfed gothic youth buying glass and plastic optics, aged gay scientists checking the latest pyrex tubes and surgical rubber, and some cheerleader types getting some wall transformers and small electrical motors with off-balanced, weighted loads. The REAL DIY'ers rule!

The Wicked Witch of the West WAS right! "What a world, what a world..."

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Lowbatts said:
Spooky said:
Am I the only one who can't wait for television producers to latch on to something ELSE?

My point here is this. Those of us that have TRUE love for these things are already here, and will STILL be here when the fad has worn off.

However, we now have to contend with a FLOOD of opportunists who think they are going to get rich quick, and have no real love other than the love of what they can MAKE or what they can sell it for.

The only REAL winners are manufacturers or dealers, who are all too happy to keep pushing it.

WE will still be here when THEY have gotten bored or realize they WON'T get rich quick, and we will have to deal with their legacy.
That of being too "busy" to be bothered with filling holes or asking permission.

No, you're not alone.

See ya at American Science & Surplus soon!

BTW Joe, I was there a couple weeks ago and the clientele is every bit eclectic as the merchandise. There were overfed gothic youth buying glass and plastic optics, aged gay scientists checking the latest pyrex tubes and surgical rubber, and some cheerleader types getting some wall transformers and small electrical motors with off-balanced, weighted loads. The REAL DIY'ers rule!

The Wicked Witch of the West WAS right! "What a world, what a world..."

LMAO @ "aged gay scientists checking the latest pyrex tubes and surgical rubber" Oh man, you had me laughing there buddy.

I need one more stamp on my card ($20) until I get $25 of free stuff! I'm thinking of some of the latest pyrex tubes and surgical rubber................

Joe

davebien

Feb 5, 2008
DuPage County, IL
Detector(s) used
DFX and now a new Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Hey, I resemble those remarks 'cept I'm only aged that and I'm pretty sure my "cheerleader" outfit doesn't fit anymore :hello2:. LOL. I think I may need more "stuff". Need to fill up my AS&S card. Just went past the Geneva store earlier, that brightly colored skeleton in the window.... hmmmm

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haven't seen that show yet,but have you caught American Pickers.Two guys drive around the country and look for old odd items in peoples barn,garages and on their land.

comfortablynumb

Sep 8, 2009
NW Missouri
Spooky said:

Good point Spooky!

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure that the general public have an appetite for this. As we know, it's hard work (at least around here). That's aside from the issue that they're worth the money that they claim.

I think that already, natural selection, as the mechanism that 'selects' us to do strange things, has gotten us here to these pages as the individuals most likely to MD.

So, get ready for a glut of detectors on eBay.

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
twistidd said:
Kimsdad said:
Lowbatts said:

I remember collecting fossils with my class when I was younger, had to have been in 3rd grade. I'm not sure where we were, but we would look for these certain rocks and a guide would help us crack them open. Inside were the intricate, perfect fossils of ancient ferns. Absolutely beautiful. I still have a few of them, they allowed us to keep the ones we found. When I have the time I'll try to scan them for you guys (at work now). Anyway, just thought you'd like to know.

Joe

When I was in grade school my family went on a trip to New Mexico and went looking for fossils. We found some old fish that were encased in sand stone and I found this rock with some ferns or water plant encased in it. Sadly my brother and I destroyed the sandstone fossils but I still have this. The fish were preserved for millions of years and it just took 2 toddlers 5min to erase them forever... :'(

Attachments

• 00.jpg
    00.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 363
  • 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 392
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 366

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread