Meteorite or just a rock that likes magnets? Please help.

Itfoundme13

Mar 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a rock that picked up one day (like a year ago) because I liked the way it looked (color/pattern). I decided to put a magnet to it today, and it hung on my magnet. I calculated the specific gravity to be around 3.3. It also does not leave a colored streak. I started doing research with the information i have collected, and this rock has several properties of a meteorite. but it looks much different than what I have seen. Any help would be fantastic.....thank you so much for reading/ viewing.
Cheers

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet

Attachments

• image-1668248707.jpg
    image-1668248707.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 177
  • image-4197582582.jpg
    image-4197582582.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 240
  • image-2942104111.jpg
    image-2942104111.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 197

LinkHylian

Dec 21, 2012
WA State
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro + ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I doubt its from Space, but maybe. It's most likely infused with a lot of Iron and that's why it's stickin'. Cool find though, those things are EVERYWHERE here in WA State.

boris

Dec 17, 2011
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
tesoro stingray
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have a rock that picked up one day (like a year ago) because I liked the way it looked (color/pattern). I decided to put a magnet to it today, and it hung on my magnet. I calculated the specific gravity to be around 3.3. It also does not leave a colored streak. I started doing research with the information i have collected, and this rock has several properties of a meteorite. but it looks much different than what I have seen. Any help would be fantastic.....thank you so much for reading/ viewing.
Cheers

I have seen green ones that are maybe copper ore, almost look like letters on them too? HH Boris

W.T.F

Greenie
Mar 22, 2013
Quebec
Detector(s) used
Never
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello which of the 2 minerals is magnetic, the white or the black? Is the white ,Feldspar, is it recrystallised? Are there nano or micro diamonds present (visible in light reflect) in the black mineral ? Has the specimen one or more fracturelines, through out? No rost, very stable.
Nice rock. W.T.F

OP
OP
Itfoundme13

Itfoundme13

Mar 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello which of the 2 minerals is magnetic, the white or the black? Is the white ,Feldspar, is it recrystallised? Are there nano or micro diamonds present (visible in light reflect) in the black mineral ? Has the specimen one or more fracturelines, through out? No rost, very stable.
Nice rock. W.T.F

I can't really tell which of the two are magnetic, the rock is really hard and i have not been successful in chipping it yet....any suggestions for how to figure out magnetic properties of the two materials independent of each other?
I just got one of those digital microscopes (nothing expensive), and I plan on taking a look at the rock under the scope tonight. I can see a reflection of some type of small crystalline structure when I move it around in light. How do I identify recrystallized feldspar? Thank you for you response. I am learning, I took geology in undergrad (one of my favorite classes)....and I am a chemist so I understand a good deal of geology, but I am really out of my comfort zone when it comes to identification. I love the advice I get from this site!

W.T.F

Greenie
Mar 22, 2013
Quebec
Detector(s) used
Never
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello a regular microscope works just fine. If you are able to chip of a dust grain, from the black mineral, powder the grain, check it under magnification (x 400-2000) is there a structure form, repeating it self over and over, same shape different mass.
You can show us the microscopic image, if possible. (only the black mineral) Good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread