Meteorite or no?

meteoRIP

Jan 6, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello guys! This item was found high in the mountains in Caucasus (Armenia). It is super heavy for its size (3.4 kg/6.61pound) and looks like it has the specific crust. It also has a metallic structure (I chopped a small piece off). I know it is possible to have it checked but I am in Germany now and speaks English here so I decided to ask you for help. Thank you very much guys!

Attachments

• 1.jpeg
    1.jpeg
    68 KB · Views: 43
  • 2.jpeg
    2.jpeg
    43.1 KB · Views: 43
  • 3.jpeg
    3.jpeg
    61.3 KB · Views: 81
  • 4.jpeg
    4.jpeg
    57.2 KB · Views: 40
  • 5.jpeg
    5.jpeg
    54.8 KB · Views: 46
  • 6.jpeg
    6.jpeg
    54.2 KB · Views: 35

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet. It has no specific red flags to indicate it's not a meteorite, except that what you describe as "the specific crust" does not look at all like the fusion crust seen on typical meteorites and a meteorite with a metallic structure would have at least some rusting unless it was a very recent fall. Equally, there are no features shown in your pictures which are diagnostic for meteorites.

You haven't mentioned whether it's magnetic. Although not all meteorites are magnetic, you describe it as having "metallic structure" and meteorites with a metallic structure will always be strongly attracted to a magnet. No exceptions to that rule.

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to the Forum from New York, USA! Your FIRST STEP, is to go online, and identify known falls in the area your specimen was found (Online, Local Library, local astronomy club, local geology club of geologist.) Have your specimen examined by a geologist at your closest university after locating the strewfield it came from. Best of Luck!:icon_thumleft:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

meteoRIP

Jan 6, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you very much for the response Red-Coat! Well, apparently it is not a meteorite because it is not attracted to magnets. Yesterday I learnt a fun fact about the thing. This thing was found by my grandpa in the mountains and he carried (!) it back home because of its unusual weight. My Russian grandma used to make pickles in big jars and used that metal/stone as a weight on top of the jar:laughing7: So It has been submerged it salty water for too long. Hope we were not eating those space pickles (no superpowers yet).

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

meteoRIP

Jan 6, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for your reply Terry. In Armenia such clubs are not popular. Also I did not take it very seriously so I never thought about taking it to a university. After doing my research I found a museum that can test it. Thank you!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

meteoRIP

Jan 6, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for a reply ticndig. It is shiny inside so it is not coal for sure.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread