Meteorite or something else?

valioz

Greenie
Mar 5, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,
Last weekend i was out for first hunt with my new metal detector and in "all metal" mode i found that strange piece of rock. Firstly i suggested, that it is "hot rock" highly mineralized rock, but the piece was pretty heavy for its size and i took it. After i was back in my home, i tested it on magnet and it sticks hard. Its measures are 1.6 inch long, 0.9 inch wide and 0.7 inch thickness. The weight is 95g. The pictures that i made are bad, sorry for that. I hope that you can tell me, is there a reason to send it for testing or it is pointless? Thanks in advance and sorry for my bad english.

View attachment 1587588
View attachment 1587589
View attachment 1587591
View attachment 1587592
View attachment 1587593
View attachment 1587594

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Definitely NOT a meteorite. Just one of the many types of terrestrial rocks with a high iron content.

If you continue to have an interest in meteorites and how to identify them, pick up a few handbooks. They will be helpful. Some books on general rock types, and a few rockhound guides could also be of interest.

Time for more coffee.

OP
OP
V

valioz

Greenie
Mar 5, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for your answer! Can you tell me what are the signs, that shows you that it is not meteorite?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First is the quartz (?) attached to your specimen, second, no fusion crust. :skullflag:

OP
OP
V

valioz

Greenie
Mar 5, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for your reply! About the quartz, it looks like it was melted and stuck to that piece, which looks strange.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread