Meteorite Search

Keef King

Jul 2, 2023
signal-2023-07-09-09-21-20-554.jpg

There is a large meteorite about 4x8 ft somewhere in this area. Possible other smaller meteorites that broke off upon impact. A group of local veterans remember playing on it as children and would like to cash in. Any help would be appreciated.

robertk

Bronze Member
May 16, 2023
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would think an impact that large would leave a crater. According to the earth impact calculator, that would be the energy equivalent of somewhere between 100 to 800 tons of TNT. That's probably gonna leave a mark. If it was long long ago, the vegetation may have overtaken it, but I would think a rock that big would still be visible. If your local veterans remember playing on it, maybe one of them can remember the location, or more details that would help narrow it down.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would think an impact that large would leave a crater. According to the earth impact calculator, that would be the energy equivalent of somewhere between 100 to 800 tons of TNT. That's probably gonna leave a mark. If it was long long ago, the vegetation may have overtaken it, but I would think a rock that big would still be visible. If your local veterans remember playing on it, maybe one of them can remember the location, or more details that would help narrow it down.
I saw “something” just left of brown spot in lower right of photo. About the “G” on Google

Maybe a magnetometer would help.

Cache-of-a-lifetime

Tenderfoot
May 24, 2023
View attachment 2092681
There is a large meteorite about 4x8 ft somewhere in this area. Possible other smaller meteorites that broke off upon impact. A group of local veterans remember playing on it as children and would like to cash in. Any help would be appreciated.
That doesn't look like that large of an area. What state is it located in. If it is close to me I could help.

OP
OP
K

Keef King

Jul 2, 2023
They have vague memories of the location and were only able to narrow it down to the areas in yellow. Yeah, hopefully it was actually a meteorite and not just a big stone. They seem convinced that it was.

OP
OP
K

Keef King

Jul 2, 2023
That doesn't look like that large of an area. What state is it located in. If it is close to me I could help.
This is in northern Missouri. The area has a higher than average amount of meteorites. Part of some kind of meteorite belt, from what I understand.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread