An Ri Rua

An Ri Rua

Apr 7, 2008
On da money
Detector(s) used
Mermet brass pendulum; Aqua Locator (antique), Luddite Skeptic detector
Spooky said:
Sigh....

You know BEFORE the shows made meteorites "what the cool kids can SELL for MILLIONS!!!" ::)

People who actually CARED about them would be interested.

Now every mouth breathing get rich quicker with a 40.00 detector will be hauling butt there for $$$

Don't get me wrong, it's SWEET, but the hysteria is just getting crazy.

Not sure I follow your confused response. It is sweet. Period. Only 2 have been found since record-keeping began in the late 19th century. Same goes for most areas of similar square mileage anywhere in the world. Yes, the sightings are there. But the finds are rare. Let's see if they find this one. It was seen from a distance of over 90 miles of that eventual likely landing point. I don't think that's tiresome at all. Its pretty cool and quite rare to be witnessed so widely and by so many. It was extremely bright and had a smoke trail. They believe they will find a substantial rock. Fingers crossed.

OP
OP
An Ri Rua

An Ri Rua

Apr 7, 2008
On da money
Detector(s) used
Spooky said:
Just out of curiosity..

How big do they have to be to actually LAND?

As in how big do they have to be to NOT be consumed in the atmosphere?

Or is that totally dependent on the makeup?

Hey spooky, Jeff, was checking the same myself on some of the links Marc provided. http://www.amsmeteors.org/fireball/faqf.html#2

They are quoted as saying this one may have been as large as an office desk. It split into a number of pieces and so we had reports of the major one at 6pm GMT but also reports as far north as Donegal at 6.50pm. Thought aht couldn't be from the fragmentation at impact could it? 50 minutes later?

Anyway, seen by thousands. Makes a change from moving statues when we have a recession ;-D

OP
OP
An Ri Rua

An Ri Rua

Apr 7, 2008
On da money
Detector(s) used
"Now every mouth breathing get rich quicker with a 40.00 detector will be hauling butt there for $$$"

Hey Spooky, here in Ireland, Cavan folk are always slagged off as being the tightest and meanest around!! Like the Scots :laughing7:

If they get to it before the get-rich-quickers or the state bodies, it will take the Irish army to get it off them :laughing9:

OP
OP
An Ri Rua

An Ri Rua

Apr 7, 2008
On da money
Detector(s) used
Update: -

I thought that footage looked a bit 'extensive' for a fireball. Thought hey maybe its just an Irish fireball and isn't very punctual....

But, turns out that footage being used was a hoax. Youtube footage from 2008! And RTE and other tv stations ran with this footage. Oh dear.......

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0204/meteorite.html

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread