Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Somewhere in a remote stretch of forest near Maine’s border with Canada, rocks from space crashed to Earth and may be scattered across the ground — just waiting to be picked up.

If you’re the first person to find a big one, a museum says it’ll pay out a $25,000 reward.

More here:
https://apnews.com/article/meteorit...pril13_2023&utm_term=Morning Wire Subscribers

Don in SoCal

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Imagine you zoned in on the impact crater and discovered it had obliterated someone's chicken coop and there were feathers and cooked chickens everywhere. And you found the space rock and a lone surviving chicken was sitting on it. But then when you went to remove the rock from under the hen the rock hatched and a mutant half chicken half xenomorph space monster came out. Then the skies filled with black hawk helicopters and government agents surrounded the place and took the monster away without even acknowledging your presence. That would be cool.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Imagine you zoned in on the impact crater and discovered it had obliterated someone's chicken coop and there were feathers and cooked chickens everywhere. And you found the space rock and a lone surviving chicken was sitting on it. But then when you went to remove the rock from under the hen the rock hatched and a mutant half chicken half xenomorph space monster came out. Then the skies filled with black hawk helicopters and government agents surrounded the place and took the monster away without even acknowledging your presence. That would be cool.

I want some of whatever he's smoking.......
fly.gif

Stonerdude_zpsnsa3xmrz.gif

bucksport

Oct 26, 2011
Maine
Detector(s) used
White’s Classic ID, SL III, SL II, coinmaster classic III, Treasure Master. Land Ranger Pro, Time Ranger, Tracker IV, Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is in the town where I grew up. Population under 100 (66 as of the last census). I have probably played in those woods as a kid.
I should take my machines and start a rental service there for a few weeks lol

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NASA's ARES lab, using radar signatures, has reported that “Meteorites in this event fell directly into winds of up to 100 mph, carrying smaller meteorites across the border into Canada.” The radar data suggested sizes up to about 0.7 pounds, although larger masses may have fallen.

They have released an updated map of the likely strewnfield, colour-coded by location for possible sizes between 10kg (red) and 1g (yellow):

strewnfield.jpg

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a cabin up in vanceboro on the lake, not terribly far from where this happened. I will have to call up to a friend up there and see if they have heard anything

GlowingArtist

Oct 8, 2022
Phoenix
Hilarious side bar about meteors. It was on "news of the weird" on a radio station a long while back .
It went something like, "Man tries to save house from more meteorite hits by building huge steel top over house in Russia. And at 3 large meteors have come through his roof already."

bucksport

Oct 26, 2011
Maine
Detector(s) used
White’s Classic ID, SL III, SL II, coinmaster classic III, Treasure Master. Land Ranger Pro, Time Ranger, Tracker IV, Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a cabin up in vanceboro on the lake, not terribly far from where this happened. I will have to call up to a friend up there and see if they have heard anything
That would be Spendik lake. Vanceboro is where my late grandparents were born. Their house is in Lambert. Small world!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread