Meteorites

darthoblio

Jun 19, 2010
Haven't been active here for a while. My laptop stopped working and I lost the bookmark. Glad I found my way back!

I have about 150 iron-nickel meteorite pieces that I found in southern California a few years ago. Most are fingernail-sized, a few are walnut size, and one is over 700 grams or about 2 lbs.

Does anyone know how I'd go about having these appraised, or possibly even sell them? I could use the money more than I can use the rocks!

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Can you post pics of the walnut sized ones and the big one? I just want to see them really, but someone else here may be able to give you a value.

OP
OP
D

darthoblio

Jun 19, 2010
Can you post pics of the walnut sized ones and the big one? I just want to see them really, but someone else here may be able to give you a value.

I've just moved and haven't found them yet. They're in one of the boxes. I'll post pics ASAP.

OP
OP
D

darthoblio

Jun 19, 2010
Today I found a few of the larger pieces. The biggest one hasn't been unearthed yet, but it's here somewhere. Plus I have a coffee can half-full of smaller pieces....

P4250008.JPG P4250010.JPG

Strongly magnetic, as you can see. These are not magnetite. I have picked up pieces of that too in the same area, but they barely cling to the magnet.

From reading online I get the idea that pieces like these are worth $2-3 per gram. That would make my biggest worth $1500-2000, but I have absolutely no idea how to go about selling it.

EDIT: Found it!

P4250001.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

darthoblio

Jun 19, 2010
Sorry folks, I realize I put this in the wrong thread. Mods, you may wanna do something about it...my bad.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread