Metro beach detecting, from the water.

PyrateJim

Nov 28, 2004
Sterling Hts., MI.
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Sea Hunter mark II
I havent detected Metro Beach in nearly 20 years, but was thinking about trying out the swimming area with the scuba gear and underwater detector. I'd like to simply come in close by boat, I'm in a marina about 3/4's of a mile away, anchor (outside of the swimming area) and simply swim over and then sink.

Has anyone else done something similar? Anything to watch out for? Can I do this? (I'm calling the park in the next day or so to ask as well).

Thanks,
PyrateJim

Planet1mars

Feb 18, 2008
Shelby Twp., mi
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola, Tesoro tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My cousin works there and you can go in there after the first weekend of september... im actually going to be going there. my cousin is takeing me to the areas that where very heavy people were at this year, it actually helps to have someone that works there to help you..

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Metro Beach is closed to metal detecting between Memorial Day and Labor Day. The Tuesday after Labor Day it is open season for detection till spring. But guys do come in to dive and detect at night during the summer by coming in by boat and not coming ashore. After Labor Day, everyone that waited wonders where all the goodies have gone......... Duh.....

elusion

Oct 11, 2005
SE, MI
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Explorer II, Tesoro Tiger Shark
There is still a few good things here and there if you are persistent. Unfortunately not only did someone come in before the official "season" started, but they also seemed to have dumped a bucket of keys in the water. Every water hunter I saw including myself had at least 2 keys at the end of the hunt. ::)

Planet1mars

Feb 18, 2008
Shelby Twp., mi
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola, Tesoro tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was told they chased off a few people due to people still swim till october and i guess there was a problem with a person in water with a detector and swimmers.. im going there this week or next if anyone is intrested. i should get in for free and my buddy also told me he is going to show me were most of the people been hagging out. and A few other things.

MichiganRob

Jan 17, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Planet1mars said:
My cousin works there and you can go in there after the first weekend of september... im actually going to be going there. my cousin is takeing me to the areas that where very heavy people were at this year, it actually helps to have someone that works there to help you..

I was just wondering...Do very heavy people lose more stuff? :icon_jokercolor: Just kidding, sounds like fun.

HH
MichiganRob

joejuicyboy

Jun 23, 2008
Hi all...newbie here :icon_study: (with pretty much newbie equipment, Discovery3300)

Was at Metro Sat.($4 to get in). Mostly tried the west portion of the beach, for the most part just a lot of pull-tabs.

Wouldn't mind trying it again...BTW, from the Park Superintendent

Metal detecting is permitted at Metro Beach without a permit within the
following guidelines:

1. Metal detecting is not permitted on any irrigated lawn areas.
2. Metal detecting is not permitted in the Nature Area.
3. Metal detecting is not permitted on the Par 3 Golf Course or the
Adventure Golf Course.
4. Metal detecting is not permitted on the swimming beach from Memorial Day
weekend through Labor Day weekend.
5. Metal detecting is permitted on the swimming beach from the Tuesday after
Labor Day through the Friday before the Memorial Day weekend.
6. Metal detecting is permitted in the picnic areas year-round.

silversnacher

Jun 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was told there was no detecting allowed in the summer season when I tried to go there, but then I went there after summer and found my first silver! Just a 64 roosie but I was not expecting that at all!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread