Metro Denver & Summit County Prospecting

agolddigger

Oct 28, 2016
California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Got the gold bug back in Oct (2016) and I've been looking to get back out ever since! I just started sluicing today with my new Angus MacKirk Foreman II after waiting 3 months for my bazooka that never arrived =D

I'll be posting updates of each trip here & occasionally posting pointers & tips on my blog as I figure out what I'm doing. Most of my digs will be in metro Denver since that's where I live (Clear Creek, Cherry Creek, & South Platte) but I also plan to make some trips this summer out to Cache Creek & around the summit county area.

-----------

Went to Arapahoe Bar today on Clear Creek (in the burbs of Denver) - there was a bit of snow on the ground but the dirt was just as easy to dig as always & thanks to the upstream Coors plant the water was plenty warm.

BIRU-WP-20170227T120301GMT-0700-1.jpg

My sluice was setup in the V in the middle of this pic ^. If I were smarter I would've taken the picture with the sluice :P

BIRU-WP-20170227T110134GMT-0700.jpg

Took a picture of my first pan of the day (about a half a bucket of material through the sluice) which also happened to be the best cleanup of the day.

Spent a lot of time messing around experimenting with my new sluice - twice I managed to blow out all of my top riffle (and all of the gold) but overall had a lot of fun today. At one point when my sluice was running perfectly I decided to run a bunch of nearby tailings in the creek to see if I could get some gold that they missed, got a couple little pieces of fly poop but overall that person was moving a lot of material & catching basically all of it.

Overall pretty happy with my Angus MacKirk - still need to figure out the balance of how many buckets I can run before I start losing gold. It also seems like if I leave my sluice unattended the riffles will eventually wash out - at least with the heavy flow I had today. I'm planning to use this for low flow situations and eventually buy a Gold Hog stream sluice for my production runs since you don't need to classify with those.

I'll do the finish processing on it tomorrow and post up the results. I have a scale coming from Amazon next week so I can start to track my cleanouts.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Let's meet up soon (maybe at A Bar again) to play with our AM sluices and see what is what. :D

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Metro Denver & Summit County Prospecting

How does Saturday at Arapahoe Bar sound? Or another spot if you prefer...but I'm free!!

OP
OP
agolddigger

agolddigger

Oct 28, 2016
California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just talked to Kevin - looks like we're meeting @ 10am at A Bar. Should be fun!

Last edited:
OP
OP
agolddigger

agolddigger

Oct 28, 2016
California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
image1 (1).JPG

Haven't posted here in a while but I have been doing a bit of prospecting along the South Platte river. Was planning to just keep packing for moving but when I heard from Hunt4Gold that he had some time to show me his new sluice prototype I couldn't resist.

While waiting in the parking lot a ~12 year old kid came up to my car and asked what all my gear was for. He was planning to get in the river to go fishing anyway so taught him to pan & gave him an old pan that was searching for a good home anyway. He then went and grabbed a friend and taught him how to pan also - not quite experts yet but then again neither am I!

The sluice I was trying out was the Grizzly Gold Trap (Explorer model). It's basically an improved version of the bazooka sniper. We had both a sniper + grizzly side by side and it was clear that this was an improvement over the original.

As somebody who planned to buy a bazooka sniper (and got scammed + had to do a chargeback) I would highly recommend the GGTs. It has a significantly larger trap and with the right flow can move quite a bit of material (all without classifying of course). The biggest flake we found for the day was clearly visible on the deck of the sluice thanks to the embedded riffles just before the trap (I didn't snap a shot of it but I should've).

I feel the recovery rate was very high knowing the production that you should get in that area, including very fine gold despite massive amounts of black sand.

We were able to run the sluice in a spot that a week prior I couldn't get any sluice even my little angus mackirk to run in which was great. As expected the gold was good right there so now I just need to carve out some more time to go dig it all out! Thanks to Hunt4Gold for taking the time to show me his new prototype, looks like he is running a tight ship. I'm personally going to buy one of the backpacking models.

Last edited:

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I cant wait to get my greedy little hands on one!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Looks like the flow is up in that area. I can tell where you are by the tall concrete building in the background ;)

Glad to see you out digging...I've been on the road a while as you know and I'm getting the prospecting itch really bad!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread