juju

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2007
Burien, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Grey Ghost Headphones, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Alright this one should light a fire. On Saturday I was detecting in Point Defiance at Owens Beach in the evening. I was approached by a contract security guard and told to stop. I did, and asked him why. He said I couldn't detect in the turf, only in the sand. Now I have a letter from Sheree Trefry/ Communications Coordinator-Metro Parks. This letter states I am within my privileges to detect in the turf. Just to be carefull of sprinkler systems, and do as little damage as possible. I asked the guard if he was familiar with the parks standing on detecting. He promptly said no and that I had to leave for not respecting him, or he would have me arrested and removed. Keep in mind that no profane language or elevated voices were used on my end of this discussion. Well I left but that's not the end. Today which is Monday I head to the parks main office as soon as they open. I went not only to file a complaint against this individual guard, but to get a more substantial letter to keep on my person. I met with Nancy Johnson/ Communications Manager-Metro Parks to discuss this issue. She apologised for the guard, and his behavior. I explained that as a contracted individual for the parks dept, that his actions did not reflect well. She agreed and said she will take action to remedy this. So I got justice. Now to the detecting side of things. It appears the letter I carried from Sheree Trefry was in fact authentic but not correct. It is in fact extremely contradictory, in terms of Tacoma Municipal Codes. It seems the park guidelines are based on these codes and therefore very gray in a lot of areas. I also found out the park has no real policy for detecting. I also found out that being arrested is a very real possibility if the an informed individual decides to persue the issue of someone detecting in the parks. Nancy has assured me that this will be resolved. We agreed that guidelines would be the best place to start. These would show which areas would be off limits, the size of the hole allowed to be made, etc. I also stated that the park staff needs to be well informed on any policies that are developed as a result. I explained that it is detectorist that remove most trash, and debris from the play areas and open areas in the parks. She agreed, that we benefit the system. I spent a long time this morning discussing this issue with Nancy and really feel I got something accomplished. The point to this post is as it stands right now, metal detecting in Metropolitan Tacoma Parks is not now nor has it ever been allowed. I was one of the many who was misinformed. This is a heads up to all. The Tacoma municipal codes regarding the gray areas around detecting in the parks were last revised in the 1970's. Nancy and I agreed it is time to change them. One of the codes states that nothing can be removed from public lands. This would be interpreted as not even trash, let alone anything else. This is my progress this far. I will keep you all posted as to any further news.

allen_idaho

Dec 4, 2007
Culdesac, Idaho
The rules for each park falls mainly on ownership. Whoever is in charge makes the rules. And it is very confusing at times.

For example the rule for public parks in Lewiston, Idaho is that you can metal detect but you cannot dig a hole. Only probe. Go figure.

You can metal detect at Camp Farragut State Park in Idaho with a permit but you must turn over any artifacts. Makes sense. The place was a navy boot camp and pow camp. And the museum could use more for it's collection.

All I'm saying is that each place is different. Some have rules set in stone, others have none whatsoever. That security guard didn't know any better, he was just trying to use his "authority". Guys on power trips are a dime a dozen.

OP
OP
juju

juju

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2007
Burien, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The worst part is that I had a letter from the parks dept. saying I could detect in the parks, only to find out it wasn't correct.

rustyfind

Oct 18, 2007
Thanks JUJU for all the info. Sorry you had to meet the guard with attitude. Been detecting at Point Defiance off and on for many years and never met a guard. Always been respectful to the property as it sounds you have. Maybe see you around the area.

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, BH Discovery 3300
Generally, unless an activity is prohibited, it is, by default, permitted. Is relic hunting, metal detecting, disturbing the flora, removing found objects, etc. prohibited ??

Diggem'

OP
OP
juju

juju

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2007
Burien, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Diggemall said:
Generally, unless an activity is prohibited, it is, by default, permitted. Is relic hunting, metal detecting, disturbing the flora, removing found objects, etc. prohibited ??

Diggem'

This is where the codes are very vague. Removing any found object is prohibited, as well as disturbing the flora. It doesn't specifically prohibit metal detecting, but detecting follows into these categories under the opinion of the parks dept.

Lasivian

May 23, 2003
Spokane, Washington
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
At least it's nice to hear that you're getting someplace with them, and they seem sympathetic to your cause. Much better than getting a "these are the rules, tough" type of speech but still disheartening.

I would say until you can get something concrete from the parks department try and ask the local police that patrol the area how they would enforce the rules. Lots of things are left to "officer discretion".

Good luck, keep us posted.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread