🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Mexican Agate

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have two boxes of slabs i obtained from two different estates of deceased lapidary guys. I got them intending to chip them into arrowheads. Many were not chipable. I’ve been digging through the boxes and making cabs from them. Why does all the beautiful material come from 2,000 mi away? Sure nothing like this around here!
IMG_4615.jpeg
IMG_4512.jpeg

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Virtually all agate slabs are dyed. The colors can be fantastic. Here is an example of the many colors that can be added to a single slab of agate.
dyed_Idar_Agate.jpg

Agates have been dyed throughout history. Typically the colors are very stable. Since the value of any chalcedony, including agate, is entirely in the eye of the beholder dyeing is a smart move for collectors.

Upvote 2

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Personally, I abhor dyed stones. Anyone who wants me to accept dyed stones as part of the deal had best be prepared for me to reduce my offer, or walk away, as I have many times.

I understand the purpose, to make a grey or off white stone more visually attractive, but I still will not knowingly purchase any.

Stabilized stones are another matter. Depends on the stone and method of stabilization.

Time for more coffee.

Upvote 4
OP
OP
ToddsPoint

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Virtually all agate slabs are dyed.

I’ll have to disagree with that and here’s why. The UT agate pictured above was cut from debitage from Indians flintknapping. I went through a 5 gal bucket of it and found a few pieces thick enough to slab. I doubt the Indians dyed their agate. Currently in Brazil, export laws forbid the export of whole agate nodules. The Brazilian gov wants the value added with cutting and polishing, and dying, in Brazil. Most all the agate I see coming polished out of Brazil is dyed. That’s not how it used to be. In the 50s and beyond, a huge amount of full nodules were imported until Brazil changed the rules. If you’re lucky enough to have old stock like I do, it’s undyed agate slabbed in the US.
IMG_4806.jpeg
Notice the 50s prices on them.
IMG_4802.jpeg
IMG_4805.jpeg

These are common Montana agates. I doubt anyone would waste their time dying this stuff. These are again old stock from the 50s-60s?
IMG_4803.jpeg
IMG_4804.jpeg

I know little about agates from other places besides Brazil and the few pieces of US and Mex agate I’ve worked. I know the Germans figured out the dying and Brazil is gung-ho with it today. I’ll pass on it as the colors are unnatural and it really shows the dye under a black light.

Upvote 4

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread