N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Junkman:
Welcome to Treasure Net !!
From my personal experience only, I can tell you I've taken my MD across many times. My Boy Scout advise is to Be Prepared--for anything; from the authorities only wanting to know what the heck you are doing to those who attempt to 'increase their standard of living'. Those 'cultural' situations can be at the border or at the beach. Don't resist; go with the flow (do what the natives do). Also have 'papers' ready to show you own the machine---for at the scene ID and for insurance purposes later--in the event..........
Don..........

EpsilonMinus

May 14, 2009
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
What happens when you find stuff with your detector when you get there, then they find stuff on you when with their detector when you try to leave with it?

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
When you leave Mexico by car (at least at Calif crossings), I've never even heard of Mexican officials stopping and checking anyone from leaving. But leaving by air and getting stopped by the RED/GREEN light going through customs may be another matter.

D

digum smacks

simple you wear the most expensive thing you found and put the rest in your cosmetic bag,if you find a ton they might ask something about it.and just tell the truth and point to your metal detector.

OP
OP
J

junkman127

Aug 5, 2006
Thanx for the info everyone.I have hunted the freshwater lakes in Ontario so saltwater should be fun!!!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
junkman, there are no detecting prohibitions for casual beach usage. Metal detectors are a common site on tourist beaches. And crossing the border (even if you did score a bunch or gold rings or whatever) is not a problem. TRUST ME, they have their hands full just stopping drugs and illegal immigrants ::)

If you ever have seen anything to the contrary (Ie.: "metal detecting not allowed in Mexico") it was born out of the way silly people asked the question, and whom they asked. Ie.: there certainly may be laws against looting of the pyramaids, shipwreck salvor stuff, crossing the border with gold bars and antiquities, etc.... So think of it: If you asked some border consulate lawyer type for Mexico if you can go down and metal detect, they might just say "no", because of the above scenarios in mind. These silly "no" answers have been propogated before, leading people to think they need to leave their detectors at home, when going to the tourist beaches there (imagine their surprise when they see others detecting there). And heck, there's even dealers of the major brands down there in the bigger cities ::)

It would be no different than if you asked some American lawmakers "can I metal detect and stock up on gold and silver in the USA?" They may also say "no", because they're couching their answer in terms of Mel Fisher hassles, ARPA, federal or state level parks, blah blah blah blah. But does that mean you can't detect here? Of course not.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread