Miami

chipveres

Jul 9, 2007
Hollywood, Florida
There is a rumor that when the government dug the main ship channel to Miami (Government Cut), they exposed a Spanish wreck. That was in the 1920's. Surely the Miami area must have scattered wrecks of all nationalities, but I think we lack places where a whole fleet was lost; that would be in the Keys or on the Treasure Coast.

Chip V.

itmaiden

Sep 28, 2005
The problem you have is too many gov't preserves. Be suspicious everytime you see one of those...State and Federal. Good indication there is something there they are protecting...besides animals, trees and waterways.

I think some gov't preservation sites are legit....but Florida ?... That state should always be under suspicion.

I spend a lot of time researching information and maps, and yes I find stuff, but legalities are legalities.
And then there is the problem with owning or having the money to lease the equipment to get to some of it.

How many people can lease the Amelia Research Group ? There is a wreck that has been eating at me for a long time, but unless you can lease their services you will not be able to move all the sand.

Then there are depth problems with some of my finds. So the average diver can do 30 feet maybe. Then I have been occasionally disappointed with a find. Like discovering a wreck is actually a WWII Tanker. Tons of wrecks out there, especially off the east coast of Florida and sorting through it is very trying at times, especiallly when divers do not consider there is "value" in non-Spanish wrecks. Some Navy ships were running "funds", and there are other museum quality artifacts that could bring a good price. Treasure is not always gold. Last night I scoured over a number of modern day wrecks....which always have the potential of having something else of value on board, provided the original owners have abandoned their rights to the wreck.

Mel Fisher was smart. He utilized others who had training and knowledge such as college professors, archaeology experts etc. Otherwise without networking and asking for the expertise of others he would not have found what he had.

His timing was right but he fought for his rights to salvage too. He paid his price in many ways. If you really wanted to "organize" and become "formal" such as the Mel Fisher group or "The Odyssey" then you can make some money. If you are the pillage and plunder variety, you are going to have to at least have the money to fund your private expenses, and also your legal expenses if you get caught.

As far as acquiring information off this board, remember most here are "Treasure Hunters" and the good sites they are not going to necessarily share, nor the information.

itmaiden

OP
OP
sphillips

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
itmaiden,

I think i was wondering as to the permitted sites, which wouldnt necessarily be sites that seekers would keep secret. Just dont hear of any talk that far south. Starting to be winter here in idaho so all I can do is hybernate and dream of shipwrecks. Seems the posts start to drop off when fall and winter set in due to the lack of actual activity on the water. Just trying to keep the posts coming and the reading interesting. :icon_thumleft:

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sphillips,

Do you have access to the albatross or the mallard for some florida or carribean shipwreck work?

OP
OP
sphillips

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ran the flight department for 6yrs then moved back to the Keys for two years, then back to Idaho maintaining the warbirds for the boss (17planes). i sold my 170 a couple of years ago but still fly the little company planes and do some Husky delivery across the country. The Albatross just got back from contract work at Edwards AFB, Mallard waiting on summer(too cold to fly to the lake). Got any work in mind in the Caribbean Fisheye? Boss loves that kind of sturff. Flew the Albatross around the Pacific rim a few years ago.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread