Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Makro Multi Kruzer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

loco oro

Aug 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
those are some of the biggest pieces of native ive seen, very cool !

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H

Hookedondetecting

Jul 18, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro COMPADRE and Mohave
ORX and Deus II
Fisher F 75 LTD "2"
Minelab 600
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Makro Multi Kruzer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We used metal detectors to pin point the copper at old mining sites. There are piles of rock that were blasted out of the old mine shafts.
The copper was 6" to 8" down in mixed dirt and rock rubble so we used standard hand tools and a shovel.
This mine was from 1850. There is a ghost town near by too. The copper comes out the color of old pennies so it is not that noticeable.
The copper formed millions of years ago in the rock fissures so it is always shaped erratically.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H

Hookedondetecting

Jul 18, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
ORX and Deus II
Fisher F 75 LTD "2"
Minelab 600
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Makro Multi Kruzer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Close up of one of the rocks

Upvote 0

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice Native Copper specimens, congrats! Have you found any Gold attatched to any of the specimens? There are deposits in Southeast Tennessee and over in North Carolina with decent Gold mixed in with the Copper and more Gold along the edges of the main Copper field deposits.

Frank

Upvote 0

MrLee

Mar 25, 2012
Tokyo & OC
Detector(s) used
Google Earth, BS Detector, $$
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love copper, it has such nice color when cleaned, the problem for me is how to clean them? I have several big chunks from a mine up there in Michigan. Keep an eye out for other PMs in those specimens. If I remember correctly the Platinum metal group.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H

Hookedondetecting

Jul 18, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
ORX and Deus II
Fisher F 75 LTD "2"
Minelab 600
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Makro Multi Kruzer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love copper, it has such nice color when cleaned, the problem for me is how to clean them? I have several big chunks from a mine up there in Michigan. Keep an eye out for other PMs in those specimens. If I remember correctly the Platinum metal group.

I used a quick bath in Muriatic Acid

Upvote 0

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
In my studies I ran into some possible people of interest in Michigan. I stumbled onto the story of this huge copper rock and thought you may be interested if you didn't already know about it. there was some extreme copper speculation in Michigan and a lot of it mined out of there. nice finds, thanks for posting it.

L.C.

Ontonagon Boulder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H

Hookedondetecting

Jul 18, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
ORX and Deus II
Fisher F 75 LTD "2"
Minelab 600
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Makro Multi Kruzer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Close up of one of the rocks

Never heard of much gold up there but copper and silver melted together was somewhat common. That is called a half breed.
In the mining days the miners kept the silver for themselves since they were hired to mine copper.
The old mine records do show allot of silver was isolated and shipped with the copper.
The metals ere melted down into ingots and shipped by boat to the lower cities.
Some of the Mass copper found was as large as locomotives and took years to cut up and remove.

Upvote 0

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Never heard of much gold up there but copper and silver melted together was somewhat common. That is called a half breed.
In the mining days the miners kept the silver for themselves since they were hired to mine copper.
The old mine records do show allot of silver was isolated and shipped with the copper.
The metals ere melted down into ingots and shipped by boat to the lower cities.
Some of the Mass copper found was as large as locomotives and took years to cut up and remove.

Imagine the looks you would get if you showed up at the Recyclers with a chunk that big!::);D

Frank

Upvote 0

Zee

Oct 12, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Gold, Garrett Infinium, Garrett Pro Pointer(x2), 30" Bazooka Prospector, Scuba Gear
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That sure is cool! I'm gonna get out to the UP in Michigan this spring hopefully and try to find myself some nice copper. Should be a good trip and I can't wait!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread