Midwest Refineries experience?

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, E-Trac, Makro Racer 2, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm thinking about sending in some of my gold to Midwest Refineries and was wanting to know what experiences you have had?

These places have always spooked me with some of the stories I've read, but without a local option, Midwest Refineries looks to be my best choice.

I'm sending in 25.6 grams 14k, 22.6 grams of 10k and 5.5 grams of unmarked. Using one of the Internet calculators it's says roughly $1,100.00 in value. I know there is processing fees and such, but what would should I expect in value for Midwest?

Do they return stones on request?

Any insight to what I can expect or should do to make the process smooth as possible?

What would you have done differently if anything. In other words, and Do's or dont's I should be warned about?

Thanks

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am sure they have an 800 number, so i would get busy and give them a call and they may be able to tell you over the phone what you can expect. Good luck.. Keep in mind, they are a business and out to make a profit, so you will not even get close to market value after all is figured into the process.

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I've never used them personally so hopefully someone who has can give you more details.

But just as an FYI, you can look up their complaint history with the Better Business Bureau for the past 36 months. They have four complaints and all have been marked as resolved. That's just four people over three years. That's actually REALLY good. The BBB gives them an "A" and lists them as accredited. To put that in perspective, Cash4Gold has had 324 complaints in the past three years and is rated "C-". Cash4Gold is also not rated as accredited and has several side businesses of different names which all have their own lists of complaints.

If you put any stock in what the BBB says then Midwest Refineries looks like a decent business. And if you add in the fact that a lot of your fellow MD'ers swear by them then I think you should be pretty safe. Of course, there are no guarantees so any time you send off gold you are taking a risk. Good luck. I hope it turns out well for you. Either way, be sure to follow up and let us know how it went. :icon_thumleft:

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had an excellent experience! First rate company that gives an honest appraisal. I sent in a large pile of wedding bands, girls rings, bracelets, and chains. I sent in about 500 grams and made sure I bought some postal insurance before I mailed it in. All were in the 10k to 24k range. I sent nothing in that had a stone, so I'm not sure how that works. I made some calculations on what kind of price I should get and actually got a little more than expected. At the time of transaction they paid 95% of value. My wife was really excited when I got that check in the mail !

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have used them for a few years and they are honest and pay quickly with 94% of spot price per gram on the day they melt your stuff down. All items you send them are melted down, tested for purity, weighed and a check made out. You can also have the gold sent to you in ingots if you sent in that much.

I never have send in any stones but they may return them if asked. I know the Refiners called ARA returns all stones an you can do a search on them.

rwb83

Mar 31, 2010
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Looking to buy!!!
I have used them in the past and they are excellent, fair and honest. They will not send the stones back as I think they are unretrievable do to the process of retrieving the gold/silver. So if you want the stones you will have to pluck them out before you send the items in.

B

BIG61AL

I used them twice and was very pleased with my payment. Don't use that cash for gold you see on tv.

Jan 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
http://www.northernrefineries.com

Full Service Refiners of All Precious Metals, Gold Buyers, Gold Refineries, Gold Refiners, Platinum Buyers, Platinum Refineries, Platinum Refiners[/url] Northern Refineries -"Northern Refineries is a full service refiner of all precious metals. We buy, refine and assay all forms of gold, silver, platinum and palladium.Gold buyers, gold refineries, platinum buyers, platinum refineries, platinum refiners"

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread