Might be of interest.

Blacksheep

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2007
Wisconsin
A local park, preserved and maintained with the help of a local garden club. Spent an hour or so here this morning with my 14 year old son. He surprised me by asking some very good questions, even saw a few deer. :wink:
(Apologies for the exhibit pics, the sun was not on our side for these. The bones are replicated but the
artifacts are real )

Sheboygan Indian mound park.

"Within these fifteen acres of ancient woodland and winding stream lie 18 rare Indian burial mounds, dated about 500-750 A.D. Their prehistoric builders, ances­tors of the Wisconsin Woodland Indians, are called the Effigy Mound People because of their mysterious custom of burying their dead beneath mounds shaped like animals, reptiles, and birds. The 5 deer and 2 panthers here are unsurpassed. They also constructed intaglio, conical, and linear mounds, one of which, Mound 19, displays an exposed burial with artifacts. All that is known of Effigy Mound Culture comes from archeological study of such mounds. Many mound groups were found by early white settlers in southern Wisconsin, but few survive intact. These mounds were saved from destruction by the Sheboygan Area Garden Clubs through public subscription, and given to the City of Sheboygan as an archeologi­cal park. They were restored and opened to the public on June 25, 1966, dedicated to "Those oldest people of Wisconsin whose love for their home-land kept it green and beautiful and rich in nature's bounty. May we learn to preserve it half as well."

Attachments

• imp31.JPG
    imp31.JPG
    176.7 KB · Views: 289
  • imp5.JPG
    imp5.JPG
    252.8 KB · Views: 300
  • imp24.JPG
    imp24.JPG
    124.3 KB · Views: 288
  • imp6.JPG
    imp6.JPG
    80 KB · Views: 282
  • imp14.JPG
    imp14.JPG
    217.7 KB · Views: 278
  • imp20.JPG
    imp20.JPG
    282.2 KB · Views: 280
  • imp7.JPG
    imp7.JPG
    139.5 KB · Views: 271
  • imp30.JPG
    imp30.JPG
    267.4 KB · Views: 278
Upvote 0

SoIll

Oct 6, 2008
Il
That is interesting, thanks. I wish I would've known about that when I was in Great Lakes.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad to see them being preserved. Reminds me of the mounds over in Etowah,Ga. Great pictures and story thanks for sharing.
TnMountains

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread