Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I have around $1600 to spend on a new detector. What should I get with that? Right now I have a T2 SE, I would let my hunting partner use that because all he has to use is a cheaper metal detector but he never uses it because it is not very good in the areas we metal detect. He just watches me metal detect, walks along with me and we will talk and he will do a happy dance if I find a coin. We decided that having two metal detectors will be great for covering more surface area. I let him bring my detector to work and on lunch break and he uses it in the woods behind his work.

What are your thoughts? Coinman123,

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a white's

liftloop

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is a sizable amount available for a machine! Do some research on the different machines and choose the one for your hunting style and locations. I have White's, Garrett and Minelab detectors and use them in different locations to suite my hunting needs. The White's V3i (and DFX) is a very nice machine, but some may not like all of the setting you have available to tweak. The AT Pro and AT Gold are mid-range machines I use for relic hunting; fairly easy to learn. The Minelab Explorer SE, I bought because I always wanted to try a Minelab product - larger learning curve; e-trac is available for purchase from dealers. Does your friend want a turn-on and go detector or will he be willing to learn a more complicated machine? Lots of questions, but enjoy the experience.

VWandSTUDEBAKER

Jul 11, 2010
Gainesville FLorida
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, Whites BHID, Whites SurfPlus,Whites 5900 Pro Sl, various other detectors, TRX pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whites V3i, but be prepared for a big learning curve.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Where do you hunt and for what?

Do you have various size coil for the T2?

A F-75 LTD2 and a smaller and larger than stock coil might be a nice combo.

If you saltwater hunt a Garrett Infinium LS may be a great addition.

L

l2hunt

wow, so many choices for that kind of bread! good luck on your decision and nice of you to help your buddy out:icon_thumleft:

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wish you were MY detecting buddy! Mine bought me lunch at McDonalds once. Sorry, Cjon...had to bust on you a bit, lol.
That is a very nice gesture on your part to loan your partner your detector. I believe no matter what you decide, you guys both will be rewarded by Karma with many good memories and loads of fun.

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Who is this guy Karma people are always mentioning? From the posts I'v read dont know if I ever want to meet him. Seems he has a split personality.

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Where do you hunt and for what?

Do you have various size coil for the T2?

A F-75 LTD2 and a smaller and larger than stock coil might be a nice combo.

If you saltwater hunt a Garrett Infinium LS may be a great addition.

I have the tiny coil, the stock coil and the large 15" DD coil. I'm not sure about an F-75, it and the T-2 are almost the same metal detector.

Also, I hunt overgrown wooded colonial locations for relics and old coins if that helps.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Who is this guy Karma people are always mentioning? From the posts I'v read dont know if I ever want to meet him. Seems he has a split personality.
Lol!
Karma, the law of lessons, delivers the good and the bad!

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Something that is deep on smaller objects such as coins and relics, good at combating iron masking. Best for old coins and relics (like I have said before), I do not need a beach detector and am not looking for gold/jewelry.

PaDirtDigger

Feb 2, 2015
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
White's XLT (2), Garrett Ace 250, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont have personal experience with it... But with that price range, maybe you want to investigate a Deus...?? I hear they go pretty deep for coins, and are pretty darn fast with recovery if there is iron near and around the coin too... Just tossing that name out there

voodoo

Nov 10, 2013
calgary
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, Pro pointer AT, Lesche digger, Garrett digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice budget! Since you said you don't need a beach detector you could buy two AT machines with extra coils. Now you both have the same machine! super easy to learn and great for everything! haha

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread