signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, according to google by road it is 450 miles from Ottawa, Ont. to outside Philadelphia. It is almost exactly on a north-south line. My Father was working as a Special Agent for the FBI under J. Edgar Hoover at the time. Sixty years ago.

The guy at the store wanted to card me for buying beer tonight. I was old enough to buy beer in 1971. They changed the drinking age law here in Montana to 19 years old on my 19th birthday. Talk about good timing! I was working for the US Forest Service in a small town and my crew chief suggested we wait up until midnight to go drink a beer. We stayed up and went to the bar --it was closed!

Last edited:

woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
ciudadano del universo, residente de El Paso TX
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other
Dan Aykroyd of Ghost Busters fame and paranormal enthusiast and myself were born the same day July 1 about 450 miles apart. There's one good proof about astrology.

Classic example of how the uncritical human mind gets what it wants from facts that offer it no support.

Within a 450 mile radius of Mr. Mike's birthplace (that's a circle 900 miles in diameter), how many folks do you suppose were born on the same day he was?

It gets funnier. Read Mike's post and it's like reading an LRL story! The problem with LRL stories is that you have to be careful not to tell the whole truth that could form the basis of critique, the fairy tale must be kept alive! In this case, the fairy tale is the one Mike made up about his birthplace, so where was he born? He drops hints, unlike most people who if you ask them where they were born they can out with it straight. Here's how people who don't feel compelled to keep their fibbing options open do it: "I was born in Sacramento, California." No multiple choice, no different story last year or next year. It was Sac. Always has been and always will be. No secret and no equivocating.

So, although Mike (being an LRL'er) can't tell his story straight, not even the perfectly ordinary part (!), I give him the benefit of the doubt on his assertion that he was born on the same day as a famous person, less than 450 miles away! What a coincidence!

Me, I've never wondered if there were any famous people who share my same birthdate, although I suppose some do. Even famous people have birthdates. Nor have I wondered if anyone famous was born within 450 miles of Sacramento, although I suppose that quite a few were. Gotta be born somewhere. Common sense, no mystery.

We know from Mike's previous posts (see his Wallenda post for a recent manifestation) that he wants to attach his reputation to that of famous people, hoping that their bona fides (if any) will stick to his Revelation Rod since Mike himself has provided abundant firsthand testimony that the RevRod itself has no bona fides of its own. And Mike, being into LRL fairy tales, is gonna have his eyes and ears tuned to ghosts, so Mr. Ghostbuster pops up on his attention screen and the rest is history, as Mike himself posted.

I'm not picking on Mike, just using his posts as an example of how to understand the kind of thinking that so often manifests itself among LRL enthusiasts. Mike is evidently clueless about science so he flits about trying to connect his RevRod to the reputations of Wallenda and Aykroyd even though neither is known for giving their imprimatur on LRL's. More commonly we see pseudoscientists trying to pin their donkeytails onto the dead bodies of famous scientists like Einstein and Tesla hoping that the mystique will rub off onto their products. (Living scientists one must avoid because those might reverse the game and pin the tail on the correct donkey.) When LRL proponents can't name personal names, it's "NASA" or "secret government files" or the court of last resort "scientists say". Willingness to take personal responsibility for credibility is always the missing ingredient because they have none to offer. They're so used to that principle that when it comes to the example of "where was I born" it falls under the same rubric, I ain't sayin' nuthin' that anyone can pin me down on!

Human nature ain't pretty, and there's nothing like an LRL forum to put the magnifying glass on its warts. It aint' just about LRL's, either: once you understand how LRL-think works, understanding USA presidential election politics gets a whole lot easier. It's all a con game.

The psychology of LRL'ing takes strange turns. Stay tuned for the Hung versus Minelab story!

--Toto

Last edited:

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Dowsing Rods and a Ranger Tell Examiner
Gee woof...He put some real facts on here..Could you please put some real facts on this board about LRL’s...Art

woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other
Gee woof...He put some real facts on here..Could you please put some real facts on this board about LRL’s...Art

Mike's "factoid" was that it's 450 miles from Ottawa to Philadelphia. What the heck, I'll take his word for it.

His claim was that he had just offered a good proof of astrology. And it's a fact that he proved nothing about astrology other than how people deceive themselves about it. That much he proved by giving an actual demonstration.

You probably didn't notice that his fake astrology post which he posted on an LRL forum said nothing about LRL's. Without noticing that peculiarity, you wouldn't wonder why he would do such a thing, and therefore you would fail to "read the advertisement". Without even mentioning LRL's explicitly, it was about LRL's. Mike was providing an example of how LRL proponents resort to fake bona fides when they figure out that the LRL itself is bogus. They don't resort to real bona fides because they have none available, fake is all they got. Fake bona fides is a very common aspect of LRL advertising. When the manufacturer proves that they know the thing is bogus, a prospective purchaser should either accept the manufacturer's proof and walk away; or, insist that the manufacturer got it wrong and then pay full freight to get hold of the gizmo and prove the thing ain't bogus after all. Remember how the Gravitator works and how it finds treasure? If you don't like me telling you, get it straight from Thomas himself! He knows! The rest of the LRL industry operates on the same principle, although arguably not with as much sense of humor as Thomas puts into the Gravitator.

If you want real facts about LRL's, I've posted plenty, not that it's made you happy. Here's the biggie: All LRL's are bogus.

--Toto

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
~woof~
You probably didn't notice that his fake astrology post which he posted on an LRL forum said nothing about LRL's. Without noticing that peculiarity, you wouldn't wonder why he would do such a thing, and therefore you would fail to "read the advertisement". Without even mentioning LRL's explicitly, it was about LRL's.
What’s wrong with Mike posting on the Dowsing Board? Many people can both Dowse and know how to use a LRL...
If you want real facts about LRL's, I've posted plenty, not that it's made you happy. Here's the biggie: All LRL's are bogus.
Yes you post what you think are real facts..They are all bogus and all you have to do is read the advertisements..Yes lndeed you think those are facts..Art

woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other
Art, your false implication that I complained about Mike posting on the Dowsing forum is part of the "LRL fairy tale" pattern. Here's what you know: that I made no such complaint, and you prove you know by constructing your post as an implication without explicitly saying so. This is exactly what LRL advertisers do, it's what Mike has already done in this very thread. Your own "advertisement" reveals that your post is false and that you know it's false. In the same category as your photoshopped gold pan, arguably your most famous "advertisement".

I'll put it point-blank to you, Art: if you sincerely believe that your LRL works, why do you post stuff that you know is false and it can be proved that you know it's false? I know why Mike does it, but I haven't figured out why you do it. Some people attribute your behavior to having a commercial interest in LRL's, but you've denied having any such interest and for better or for worse I actually believe you on that one.

--Toto

woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other
I was scratching my bald spot trying to figure out if there is any industry besides LRL's where all of the products are fraudulent and the advertising thereof bears all the hallmarks of fraud. Closest I can think of is USA major federal elections. In healthcare there's a lot of fraud, and it usually smells of fraud, but there's also a lot of stuff that actually works and there is also advertising that doesn't smack of fraud. Religion is also a mix, it's not like the whole thing is fraudulent.

In terms of who the target market is, LRL's have a lot in common with metal detectors, so much so that almost everyone who uses an LRL also uses a metal detector. Another thing they have in common is "electronics", which distinguishes LRL's from dowsing at least in terms of the physical construction and theories of operation. There's also geophysical apparatus and magnetometers. All this invites comparison.

So how's a person who is new to all this supposed to get it figured out what's what? That's real easy-- Read The Advertisement!

LRL advertising is completely unlike advertising for stuff that actually works, like metal detectors and magnetometers. What's the obvious difference? with LRL advertising, you can't figure out what the thing actually is or actually does, the advertiser is intentionally making sure you don't know what you're buying. If of course you make up a fantasy what the gizmo is or does, that's your problem.

On forums, you get arguments between "skeptics" and "true believers". Where's that in metal detection and geophysical equipment? People argue over the respective merits of various makes and models, but the assumption that everyone accepts is that the things do actually work. NOBODY is saying that metal detectors or magnetometers are just plain frauds that never worked in the first place. Not even LRL "true believers" make such an assertion, most of 'em use metal detectors!

I have often made the statement that all LRL's are fraudulent, every single one. I'll gladly retract that statement when someone comes up with an LRL for which there is credible evidence that the thing isn't fraudulent. And one reason why that's not likely ever to happen is that nobody who develops apparatus that actually works is going to refer to it as "LRL"! because everyone knows the phrase "LRL" refers to fraudulent apparatus!

There is of course real long distance locating apparatus. The electronic kind has been around for about a hundred years. For ten bucks you can buy a portable AM radio and without any additional apparatus, you can determine the direction of the transmitter through RDF. Pipe and cable tracing has also been around for a century, and VLF/LF geophysical prospecting of ore deposits has been around nearly that long. The stuff works and is never referred to as "LRL". The magnetic compass has been used to locate the north pole for over 500 years, long before the advent of modern electronics. And the dip needle was a pre-electronic geophysical exploration magnetometer. It works, therefore not "LRL".

When you point out on an LRL forum that there really is long range locating apparatus that works, the LRL "true believers" usually get really parsed arf that their gizmos would be compared with apparatus that actually works and that for ten bucks they can prove it to themselves, no "belief" being necessary. Folks, that's "truth in advertising"! when proponents of a product regard it as unfair that their gizmos would be stacked up against things that everyone knows works!

So-- do you need to know anything about electronics or physics to figure out whether or not LRL's are a scam? Nope. All you need to do is to "read the advertisement". The LRL manufacturers and proponents know they ain't got squat, and everything they say and do revolves around that fact.

--Toto

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dunno, Toto, I looked up my b'day on one of those Famous People Birthday web sites and, verily verily, not a single solitary famous person was born on that day. Now here's the scary part... in all the dozens of people I know, not a single one shares my b'day. No one! This has to be proof that I am the only person on Earth who was born that day. And my birthmark that some people say looks like a "666" really looks a bit more like "RANDI". What could it all mean?

woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other
Carl, using LRL fairy tale logic, it proves that metal detectors don't work. And to think of all those LRL doodlebuggers who swing beeps, the poor souls! At least Hung got it right, he fed his Minelab to the sharks. (Might not be the right move for everyone, but surely the right one for Hung!)

And now that Mineoro and Minelab are talking to each other...... well, that's a soap opera what Hung ain't quite figgered out howta spin yet.

It's amazing the stuff that we don't have to make up, the LRL fans make it up for us!

--Toto

DISCLAIMER FOR GULLIBILLIES: that business about Hung feeding his Minelab to the sharks, I'm using it as a figure of speech. Although I wouldn't be surprised if it literally happened that way. It'd be good entertainment to hear his version of the story.

Last edited:

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
~woof~
I'll put it point-blank to you, Art: if you sincerely believe that your LRL works, why do you post stuff that you know is false and it can be proved that you know it's false? I know why Mike does it, but I haven't figured out why you do it. Some people attribute your behavior to having a commercial interest in LRL's, but you've denied having any such interest and for better or for worse I actually believe you on that one.
All false and thank you for proving my case with the rest of your post..Art

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread