Military Amunition on a Public Beach!?

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism IV / Bullseye II pinpointer
Greetings all! Long time no post. It's been so long I am wondering if I remember how to make a post here at the TreasureNet at all. <grimace>
Was just on vacation this past week, visiting Myrtle Beach (North Myrtle Beach) SC. Of course I took my detector with me. I may not have a waterproof rig that can go out in the surf to hunt for gold in the water, but I am able to hunt the dry sand. I found a handfull of coins and a couple of pieces of jewelry (earrings, two "singles") One is ugly costume Jewelry at best, the other is a modified Buffalo nickel ! Someone soldered on a post to turn it into an earring. Go figure.
The most interesting find this year was a shell... no... not a sea shell... a spent ammunition shell. Now I'm guessing it is 50 cal but as I'm no expert on military ammunitions I thought I might post pics of it here and see if anyone can help me identify it. I was told that during WWII Naval aviators in training would buzz the beaches where practice targets had been set up on shore and afloat in the surf. That might explain the shell casing being on the beach.
Any information would be welcomed... speculation is accepted too. <smile> Thanks for looking.

As always... Happy Hunting!

Frodov

Attachments

• IMG_1101.jpg.JPG
    IMG_1101.jpg.JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_1099.jpg.JPG
    IMG_1099.jpg.JPG
    84.7 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_1105.jpg.JPG
    IMG_1105.jpg.JPG
    244.2 KB · Views: 129
Upvote 0

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it marked with just the 4 & T. W? Looks like it in the picture's ,def , been around awhile & it's a biggin.

John_Deere

Mar 7, 2013
Fredericksburg
Detector(s) used
Personal: Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Family: White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The thing's definitely been there a while. From the comparison you've got going there with the quarter I'd say it's probably .50 caliber, like y'all said. Congrats on the hunt, looks like you got some good stuff!

pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say you call on the bullet casing being a 50 caliber to be correct.. I looks like a more modern casing and is a centerfire round.. Nice finds congrats.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TW = Twin Cities Ordnance Plant - Minneapolis, Minnesota

4 means manufactured in 1944.

How's that for useless information?

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
50's were used on aircraft so it likely fell from above

debrown122

Apr 15, 2009
Delaware
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
During WWII there were towers and fortifications set up to protect the coastline from German subs. Here in DE we have several large towers with gun turrets in them. They would practice daily with the 50's. last year they replenished the sand in Bethany Beach and we found the linkage that holds the shells toghether, spent rounds and shells on the beach for weeks.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of people dont know that shore batteries used to fire at U boats off shore too
I have found .50 cal heads at different beaches here and there where i was told bombers would target practice at floating targets

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread