Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a box of old photography stuff yesterday - an envelope in the box has a couple dozen negatives of battle ships , planes ,etc . The name on the envelope is Harvey Lesh . I also found the name Leslie Lesh , North Canton , Ohio on another empty envelope .
I was going to try and see if our local Copy Store can make them into prints - maybe trace down some ancestors , and see if they want them .

Attachments

• neg 013.jpg
    neg 013.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 121
  • neg 014.jpg
    neg 014.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 116
  • neg 012.jpg
    neg 012.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector_vpnavy.gif
I can't tell from your pictures but the ship should have markets on it mojjax. If you can provide the markings (i.e., DD-536, etc.) I can look it up the ship, see if their is a organization (most ships have Reunion groups) and you might be able to locate the shipmate or family...

OP
OP
mojjax

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a few more - looks like an aircraft carrier .

Attachments

• neg 029.jpg
    neg 029.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 93
  • neg 034.jpg
    neg 034.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 99
  • neg 036.jpg
    neg 036.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 94
OP
OP
mojjax

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I ID'ed the one on the left as the USS BORDELON a destroyer , I can't quite read the name of the one on the right .

Attachments

• neg 039.jpg
    neg 039.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 102
OP
OP
mojjax

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks VP - those links will come in handy !

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's how a few of them might look if developed.

Attachments

• shipnegative5.jpg
    shipnegative5.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 96
  • shipnegative4.jpg
    shipnegative4.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 92
  • shipnegative3.jpg
    shipnegative3.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 92
  • shipnegative2.jpg
    shipnegative2.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 91
  • shipnegative.jpg
    shipnegative.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 92
OP
OP
mojjax

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow ! How did you do that ?

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just copied them into a graphics program and used the "negative" function.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Here's a few more - looks like an aircraft carrier .

I think the airplane on the deck is a Grumman F8F Bearcat.

It could also be a F6F Hellcat.

The F8F had fold up wings like your picture shows. I do not think that even the late model F6F Hellcats had folding wings like that.

The airplane in the negative appears to have a four bladed prop.

If you can date the airplane, that should give you a time reference as to when the picture was taken.

Also, is the aircraft carrier in question the USS Leyte?

What we need is a Pacific Theater or Navy war bird enthusiast that knows more than I do!!!!!

Last edited:

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
The aircraft carrier in question does appear to be the USS Leyte.

The USS Leyte was active between 1946, and 1959, but I strongly suspect that the negatives you have were taken before 1953.

OP
OP
mojjax

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank's clovis This one is kind of strange -

Attachments

• neg 030.jpg
    neg 030.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 106

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like it was taken over the edge of a deck or dock. I could probably get a decent view if I could scan the negative. I tried to enhance it a bit.

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 85

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Your first picture is a Gearing Class Destroyer, before alteration. There is no number on the bow, so I'm assuming that it is also the USS Bordelon DD881, but if not it's still looks to be a Gearing Class Destroyer, on in sailor talk, a "tin can" or just a "can" The Bordelon was launched in 1945 and transferred out out of the US Navy in 1977, and given to Iran, also in 1977 where it was scrapped for parts. Gearing class1.jpg The photo is of a Gearing Class tin can as built, but by 1959 there 44 left that looked like the original. The rest were converted and ended up with the removal of on forward twin five inch gun mount, and the mast replaced with a heavy duty one to handle new electronic gear, and the bridge was remodeled. Compare the pictures, Gearing class2.jpg This is what the Bordelon looked like after the alterations, and appears to have been done in the stern view of the ship.

The following is probably more information than you ever wanted to know about a Gearing Class Destroyer.

A brief description of a typical Gearing Class destroyer:

• Compliment = Normal 274 (14 Officers and 260 Enlisted) and wartime 345 (20 Officers and 325 Enlisted).
  • Dimensions = 390'6" x 40'10" x 14'4" draft.
  • Fuel capacity = 196,000 gallons.
  • Range = 5,800 miles at 15 knots.
  • Propulsion = Simply 4 boilers supplying 2 sets of turbines generating 60,000 s.h.p. to 2 shafts each with a 12.5' four-bladed propeller.
  • Speed = 34.5 knots.
  • Weapons = 3 - 5' 38 cal. twin gun mounts, 2 - quadruple 40mm gun mounts, 2 double 40mm gun mounts, 10 - single 20mm gun mounts, 2 - quintupled 21" torpedo tube mounts, 2 - depth charge release racks, and 6 - single K-gun depth charge throwers.
Soon after commissioning, most of the early Gearings traded their aft torpedo tubes for an additional quadruple 40-mm gun mount, and this change became standard for those still under construction. The navy also converted a number of the Gearings to radar pickets (DDR), in which case, each ship’s forward torpedo tubes were replaced with a heavy tripod mast to support an SP aircraft height-finding radar and various electronic warfare antennas.
The Gearing DDE's made an ideal platform to test new ASW weapons and sonars that the Navy was developing. Operational experiences gained from these DDE's, aided the Navy in developing ASROC - Antisubmarine Rocket and DASH - Drone Antisubmarine Helicopter. The longer Gearing hulls would provide an ideal platform for these new weapons, but the ships were aging and in need of major re-construction and overhaul.
By 1959, only 44 origional Gearing class destroyers had not been converted into either dedicated submarine warfare destroyers (DDE), hunter-killer destroyers (DDK), radar picket destroyers (DDR), or for special research.
The Secretary of the Navy instituted the FRAM (Fleet Rehabilitation And Modernization) program. Only 49 Gearings of all types were scheduled for this program. On May 1, 1959, the Perry DD 844 was the first Gearing to commence the FRAM MK 1 conversion. Perry's conversion was completed on April 1, 1960 at a cost of $7.7 million.
The basic FRAM MK1 reconstruction consisted of the following:

• Below the main deck, all machinery and systems were either overhauled or replaced.
  • Above the main deck, a new superstructure.
  • Installation of ASROC
  • Installation of DASH hanger and flight deck.
  • Installation of the SQS-23 SONAR and dome.
  • Installation of SPS-29, -37, or -40 air-search radar.
  • 2 - MK-32 triple torpedo launchers.
  • All topside machinery being either overhauled or replaced.
The FRAM MK1 program had two variants. They were as follows:

• Group A - The loss of mount 53 (aft) and the inclusion of MK10/11 Hedgehogs on each side of the bridge and the MK-32's located aft.
  • Group B - The loss of mount 52 (forward 01 level). The inclusion of a practice 5" loading machine and the MK-32 both on the forward 01 level. They also recieved a larger ASROC and torpedo storage area.
There was also FRAM II, but that was mainly to update, overhaul and/or replace SUMNER class ships systems and machinery.
At the end of the FRAM program, 80 Gearings had recieved FRAM MK 1 conversion, while 15 were updated under FRAM MK II. FRAM added approximately 15 years of service to Gearing Class destroyers. Only a couple remain in foreign navies and one Joesph P. Kennedy Jr. DD 850, has been preserved as a museum.

OP
OP
mojjax

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a few developed - I finally found a place in Boothbay that does it - they were fascinated - the lady that processed them is ex military . I also found the obit for Harvey , I called the other day to one one of the daughters and left a message .

i
also foundthe obit

Attachments

• burke 100.jpg
    burke 100.jpg
    422.4 KB · Views: 91
  • burke 101.jpg
    burke 101.jpg
    419.2 KB · Views: 84
  • burke 103.jpg
    burke 103.jpg
    300.5 KB · Views: 85
  • burke 108.jpg
    burke 108.jpg
    291.7 KB · Views: 88
  • burke 105.jpg
    burke 105.jpg
    399.8 KB · Views: 76

PullTabPete

Jun 14, 2012
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal II E-trac EQ 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds.

Based on my limited knowledge your first image looks like a fletcher class destroyer from WW2 - Korea era. My dad served on the USS Colahan in Korea DD-658 and I purchased a few images of it over the years for him.

I'd get the negatives developed just because they look cool.

PullTabPete

Jun 14, 2012
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal II E-trac EQ 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry just realized I didn't respond to latest post.

Cool pictures and hope the family appreciates you taking the time to contact them

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread